Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good deal on a laser printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllVol

Hey, guys.

I have a chance to bid on one Hewlett Packard Color LaserJet 4500 Printer. Is this the type equipment we use to do our own boards? If so, can anyone offer any pros, cons or recommendations.

Bidding closes in 18 days. Thanks.

Color isnt necessary to make PCB's, And color toner may be expensive. Also shipping may be expensive too. You don't need all those features for PCB's.

Last edited:
The printer I use to do PCBs is a Samsung ML1710. I was in a shop the other day and noticed they now retail for US$70. I also recently bought a Samsung wireless colour laser printer and that was $200 brand new. Just thought I'd mention it so you don't bid too high.

Mike.

Color isnt necessary to make PCB's, And color toner may be expensive. Also shipping may be expensive too. You don't need all those features for PCB's.

I realize color isn't necessary, but it will not hurt, will it? This unit happens to be the only desk-top laser printer available at auction within driving distance (save on shipping, you know). Two toner carts are included in the deal. I figure my top bid is $25 US. Thanks to you and Pommie for the advice.

I expect that it may depend on the printer. Frank at PulsarPro said not to use color for etching. Angleglove said he used color but he was getting rather poor results.

Last week my 5 year old HP1020 started acting up and I played with my new color HP CP1518ni to see if I could use it. I found then when printing .5mm pitch TQFP's every Nth pad (maybe 8th) was a bit too closer together. I do not recall if it was in the X or Y direction and do not know where the problem is. The color printer also does not apply as much black toner as the HP1020 did. I did not try printing on transfer paper.

At that point I ordered a HP1006 for $90 and a new HP full sized printer cartridge for it.

3v0

Last edited:
I expect that it may depend on the printer. Frank at PulsarPro said not to use color for etching. Angleglove said he used color but he was getting rather poor results.

3v0

Very good info. Just what I was looking for. I may just continue my search for an el cheapo b&w laser printer. Thanks, LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back