Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Glue for SMT Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobledoux

I'm looking for an adhesive for mounting SMT components, especially caps and resistors, on hobby circuit boards while using a soldering iron.

In the past I've used silicone caulking applied with a tooth pick. But some of my small components make it difficult to apply adhesive without compromising the cleanliness of the solder pads.

Are there other adhesive options?

I remember one builder who would spray the board with lacquer and just mount components by soldering right through the finish. I suppose wet lacquer would make a good adhesive, though it dries quickly. I don't know if lacquer would contaminate the solder joint.

I've also used the standard "tin one pad then solder component end" process. I use a "Blu-Stick" type clay called "All Stick" on the tip of a tooth pick. It works but my components don't always end up with precise alignment.

Don't you have tweezers? How 'precisely aligned' do you want these parts? I've never heard of anyone using glue for SMD soldering iron work and it seems pretty silly. Only thing I've heard of glue being used for is the bottom side of boards for reflow.

Last edited:
I've soldered parts as small as 603 resistors without using any adhesive. Just tin one pad and use tweezers to hold the component whilst you fix one side of the component to the pad. Once one side is joined, connect the other side to using a small amount of solder.

As long as the board and components are clean there shouldn't be any need for flux.

I'm thinking by alignment your talking about parts like QFP chips? If that's the case, you just need practice. It can take a few tries to get it perfect, but it's not that hard.

Take some QFPs off of old VCRs and other electronics and try to put them back. It may seem pointless, but the point is to practice without risk.

I've used the techniques described so far. I prefer to place my components and then manually solder after confirming proper placement.

I'm using 0402 components and SSMP IC's. I find my Swiss made Grobet tweezers don't do a good job of holding the caps and resistors. So I use a sticky substance to place them using a toothpick. It works better than tweezers for me.

I have seen users who use silicone for placement of components. I prefer an adhesive before manually soldering. I'm not interested in solder paste or heated oven reflow techniques, if I can avoid them.

So back to my question. Anyone familiar with an adhesive that can be used to hold small smt components for manual soldering?

I'd actually prefer an adhesive I can spray on the board, then mount the components and solder through the adhesive.

Last edited:
Have you tried using liquid rosin flux as your adhesive? It gets sticky as the solvent (alcohol) evaporates, so it seems to me it could also work as a component adhesive. Then you don't have to worry about your solder joints getting contaminated with burnt lacquer. Just a thought...
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back