Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gloves that track key strokes or (Typing )

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I was talking to one of my Techs yesterday. The conversation drifted into typing and keyboards, suddenly I remembered one of the programmers at my last Job. He used some kind of glove that resembled an old archery glove; but with " 5 " finger tips instead of " 3 ". They were connected to wires then the computer, somehow.

Sensors in the finger tips were then recorded tracking and knowing what key it was and each hand was resting atop his thigh he could type out what ever code the wanted really fast.

My Tech wants to know if anyone here knows, anything about what I described ?

I don't know anything about them, but I hate to see a thread go orphaned. I found results like this one by googling "typing gloves virtual keyboard"

Last edited:
I checked it out. It doesn't appear to have been something people want ? It's a good example I just thought they would have had a Commercial One or something. I think the programmer designed his, if I remember correctly I believe he said between him and one of his friends.

I would think a better solution would be a program that can understand your voice and will be able to produce it on screen. I'm not the best typist and if I ever went into coding I could use something like that either that or do a lot more practice on the keyboard. Most of my guy's at work do about 100 words a Min, I'm only 30-40 they call me "so slow"

Heh! Well my typing is around 30-40, despite having my mother force me to take typing in high school. But I've survivied as a coder for a few years anyway. I'd suggest trying to improve your keyboard skills by taking a basic typing class. I did actually learn something, though my speed was never very high.

I do 95 or so a min, speech recognition can't keep up and has an even worse error rate than me =P 30-40 is perfectly serviceable if you ask me, I wouldn't call it slow at all. I'd consider anything under about 20 slow. My Dad was a PC tech for many years, and he never graduated above the 2 finger 10WPM range, but he has no troubles =)

I'm with BrownOut though, there is no magic device which can help you type faster or is more useful than a decent solid keyboard, anyone that has a gadget and says otherwise is just trying to sell you something. Although I have heard of BAT keyboards, which are single handed keyboard that only have seven keys, chords are used to create any letter or symbol. There is also something called a Dvorak keyboard which professional typists use, it's similar to a QWERTY keyboard only someone with understanding of the English language actually designed it =) a QWERTY keyboard is HEAVILY left hand oriented for common words where a Dvorak keyboard is optimally letter weighted so that only a very short distance needs to be traveled for the majority of letters used in common language.

I personally wish I'd learned on a Dvorak keyboard I'd be in the 150 or so range and not have such bad wrist problems. I thank my current speed to taking touch typing in grade school. It's boring monotonous and takes a very long time but it's the only way to learn to type properly.

I think my Tech is leaning on the idea of having blood flowing through his hands and not having his wrist at an angle is probably his intended desire.

If he is able to manage speed out of the experience then all the better.

With that said I believe anything that will help in the overall process will be good on both parts. He is going into heavy programming.

So, I see his point, now that I see yours.

Last edited:
Heavy programming doesn't require high speed typing, it requires libraries and a brain to work.

Try this, write a routine to do something none trivial that takes you a few hours. Delete it and you can rewrite it in 10 minutes because most of the hours it took are thinking and debugging time. So typing speed has little to do with being a good programmer.

Mike.

Try this, write a routine to do something none trivial that takes you a few hours. Delete it and you can rewrite it in 10 minutes because most of the hours it took are thinking and debugging time. So typing speed has little to do with being a good programmer.

Mike.

Your right. Personally when I see code I think of HTML and the like. When I see all the code that goes into some of my Crestron ( GUI buttons that run things with AV, Lighting etc. ) that stuff is short lines that seem to go on forever.

He might do well or he might as some do change their Major. Good kid, I just want him to succeed.

Thanks for the input.

kv

Good now that I understand, as long as the code is done correctly then that should be that, code runs stuff and shouldn't be complicated or convoluted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back