Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ghost in the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you an OS collector or something?

You could say that...

I got NDISWRAPPER to work. The volume in the mixer wsa at like 38%...

Vista will be another ME abolute rubbish. Constaqntly asking do you realy want to run this program etc. By the time you disable all this so called "protection" you have a new operating system. I myself am not at all impressed.

Vista won't be another ME, ME wasn't even an OS, it was just a surface upgrade, the basic operating system was the same. Vista seems so far to me like an upgrade similar to win98 being released after win95. Personally, I'll stick with XP till Microsoft discontinues it.

The MAC Kernel is BSD unix. Not a myth at all. But they have modded a number if libs so it was a pain to get my stuff working on it. Run terminal and you will see :)

EDIT: The MAC low level OS is BSD that is.

Last edited:
Considering BSD is a version of Unix and Linux is a clone of Unix they're very much the same thing Hero. There is even FreeBSD which a lot of people swear by, which puts the MacOS and Linux firmly in the same pot.

I run many FreeBSD machine (have for many years after Linux) and in terminal on the MAC I can tell you that is BSD..

EDIT: But as Sceadwian say, it is Unix (clone, but Unix).

Sceadwian said:
Considering BSD is a version of Unix and Linux is a clone of Unix they're very much the same thing Hero. There is even FreeBSD which a lot of people swear by, which puts the MacOS and Linux firmly in the same pot.

No it doesn't BSD and Linux are not alike, the only thing they have in common is they're both POSIX compliant. Anyway, did you read the Wikipedia article? Mac OS isn't based on BSD, it's based on OPENSTEP which had evolved from NeXTSTEP which was based on the Mach kernel and BSD. I can see the confusion but just because Mac OS is based on a UNIX com patable operating system it doesn't mean that it has anything to do with Linux.

Hero, you're arguing a third level of discontinuity to attempt to seperate Unix and Linux from MacOS? Any particular reason? They ARE related, in the same family tree at least, not brothers obviously and not friendly for sure as Linux is typically under an open source license, but obviously kissing cousins as the phrase goes, you can argue the technicalities all you like, but the are very closely related.

I hate to draw an analogy but Mac OS is as colsely related to Linux as Internet Explorer is to Firefox.

Sceadwian said:
Hero, you're arguing a third level of discontinuity to attempt to seperate Unix and Linux from MacOS? Any particular reason? They ARE related, in the same family tree at least, not brothers obviously and not friendly for sure as Linux is typically under an open source license, but obviously kissing cousins as the phrase goes, you can argue the technicalities all you like, but the are very closely related.

For an example, check this forum page which has printer setting side by side:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back