Ghost in the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ Roadmap

I was browsing using IE6 on a safe website (cnet.com) and all of a sudden I had new IE windows loading up (you know, when you press Ctrl+N ). Except I wasn't doing it.

It was weird. I think about 50 opened in the space of a minute and hogged all my RAM and virtual memory before I hard-powered the machine down. I've got the whole firewall+antivirus+ad-aware+yadayadayada installed, so its probably not a virus, but if it is I was wondering if anyone has experienced something like this?

I was browsing using IE6 on a safe website (cnet.com) and all of a sudden I had new IE windows loading up (you know, when you press Ctrl+N ). Except I wasn't doing it.
This happens also on IE7 when I log on to the secure page of my ISP to manage my account, but opens only ONE page as it should. So it must be a feature of IE that a bad web page can exploit....

That is why many people have switched to using Mozilla Firefox. You can also install extensions for it to block adverts, javascript, popups etc.

Marks, Firefox runs on Windows, I won't go near IE anymore. Firefox has better plugins is faster and has fewer hassles.

There is only one browser I would recommend and that is firefox. But at work, the people "not" in the know tell me what they need to use And all my clients as well..

I run Firefox only. I hear IE7 has tab browsing now, so I guess you can get many more malwares at a time now.

Marks256 said:
Pff, linux is no better... Mac is so far off that it shouldn't even be considered an OS....

The MAC has a pretty good OS once the GUI is removed. BSD is great. Use it 12-18 hours a day.

I can't believe that there's so much hype about Vista. I bet its going to be even more buggy that XP was when it first came out.

I'm sticking with XP SP2 until end of 2008, when Vista will become useable. I'm also going to get the MAC OS as a second OS!

NJ Roadmap! You should be ashamed of yourself! Mac OS? What is this world comming to?

I myself like XP. XP is great. I have found only one major bug, but that was with a bad wireless driver (bluescreened every five minutes), but i downloaded the newest driver that passed WHQL, and it all worked fine...

Vista looks great, but i have yet to be wowed...

I used Vista RC1 for about a week and went back to XP because of the sheer amount of RAM Vista used - about 500MB on startup! Plus a 400MB pagefile! But this was the Ultimate version with all that eye candy thats been on Mac OS for years!

But the MAC uses a BSD Unix kernel so it is much more effceint. Bill will figure it out one day..

NJ, when you loaded it, did all your programs work OK. I have had it for some time (10 users partner pack) and will not load it, since Win64 did not run anything. Seemed most of the program installers are 16 bit.. So I could not even load them. ACAD said no 64bit, etc.. So I put XP back on them.

I only keep a windows machine for eagle, mplabs, sketchup, and a few others. Use putty for all else on them

Marks256 said:
Pff, linux is no better... Mac is so far off that it shouldn't even be considered an OS....

Have you seen either of those OSs lately?

Linux, especially, has seen huge advances over the last couple years. For example, this is a screenshot of a window manager I like to use called "Beryl":

**broken link removed**

Yeah Marks. Mac's no longer use Power PC chips, they've gone over to the Intel side, Mac OS on a X86 chip, who'd have thought! Mac OS will eventually be just that, an OS sitting on the shelf right next to Windows. Not too far off really.

I am 100% anti-intel (i did like their 486dx, though...)

I have yet to be wowed by linux! I really like Knoppix, but it can not be installed (easily). I can not stand Gnome, as i like KDE.

I have a Mepis disk i am going to try tonight. My friend said that he liked it, but i will have to be the judge of that myself (he claimed that Gentoo was "great", but it wasn't...)
I wish Mepis was free...

Marks256 said:
I can not stand Gnome, as i like KDE.

You could also have a look at the Kubuntu variant of Ubuntu which uses KDE. Ubuntu seems to be very popular now.
I once tried the Xubuntu variant which is designed to run on older machines, it installed and worked well.

I have a large number of distros already;

Fedora 4
Suse 10.1
Knoppix (two versions)
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
GenToo
DSL
Mepis
Debian
And soon i will have Linux Mint.

I just tried mepis on my laptop. I am dissapointed. It looks great, and had the GCC compiler built in, but it doesn't have drivers for my sound, wireless, or media bay (SD Card). I tried NDISWRAPPER, but that didn't work on my sound (and i like music, so sound is a big deal...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…