Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting started with PIC programming and building the Inchworm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedos

Hello guys.

I've been learning electronics for a little while now. I used and programmed PICs on a few occasion for rather basic purposes. I'm not new to programming, I'm a competent C/C++ programmer and have done a good deal of assembly programming for the x8086 family, the SX52 and TI's z80. I'm not much experienced with electronics, especially digital electronics, though.

Also, I'm wondering if you guys could tell me which are the good resources on the web to get started with PICs and to learn more about electronics?

I want to build an LC meter which use a PIC (**broken link removed**) and eventually move on to design my own crazy PICs stuff.

I got a few 16F628 and 16F628A (free Microchip samples) and now need a programmer/debugger. I looked at the Inchworm, it seems really good for its price, I'd also like to try to experience of building the thing. I have never done any soldering, so I'm kinda worried I'll ruin the whole thing messing up. Should I really be worried, having no experience? Do you have some resources I could check up about soldering techniques or do you simply have some recommendations to make sure I get this Inchworm in a proper state?
Also, I don't have a soldering iron yet, any suggestion on what I should look for, in an good one?

Thanks a lot

Of course, only after having posted this should I read the rather obvious "Newcomers, please read! (PIC regarded) Upd. 0xC" thread! Please excuse me.

My concerns about the Inchworm are still valid, though.

The Inchworm is excellent and the manual is even better. Download and read the manual from **broken link removed**. The best thing about the Inchworm as far as a beginner goes is the solder mask, this makes it much easier to solder. As for soldering, the owner of this site has put together an excellent guide that you can find here.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back