Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting ready for job interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Hey,

I'm a third year student studying electrical engineering.
I'm currently working in a company (for 2 years now) and am really satisfied with what I deal with in the everyday there and how much I learned during this period (and am still learning).

However, I decided to start looking for a new job as the financial conditions which this company offers are quite bad compared to what's common.

Currently I'm focused on solving job interviews questions that deal with digital systems (Flip-Flops, State-Machines, Synchronous Systems, Logic Gates, etc) and with logic.

I'd appreciate any tips you could share here towards the job interviews.

How should I prepare myself to tell about everything that I've been doing in my current job?
Should I bring schematics of circuits I designed (Is it common?), should I bring graphs and such info that describe the tests I was conducting?

Any tip would be appreciated!

Thanks.

--
Oh and one more thing..

One of the positions I'll be interviewed for is validation of cellular networks.
Any idea what this position requires?

Last edited:
To answer you questions it would be helpfull to know where you live.
Your first interview would most likely be with a HR person, not to interested in the tech details, but bring info of your work with you nonetheless. Any schematics or detailed info relating to your current job should stay at your current job!

Hi,
I live in Europe.

I was already told that the job interviews will be technical, not with HR.

About the schematics,
For example, I designed a simple LED driver, and I could use this in order to describe how I chose the SMD resistors, SMD LED, SMD BJT, and why I designed it this way (What's the base-return resistor's duty, how I picked the componetns' values).

I'd really like to know how I should describe the experience I purchased in the current job.

Last edited:
About the schematics,
For example, I designed a simple LED driver, and I could use this in order to describe how I chose the SMD resistors, SMD LED, SMD BJT, and why I designed it this way (What's the base-return resistor's duty, how I picked the componetns' values).

For a technical interview I would suggest something that simple and easy would be a VERY poor choice - it's pre-teen school electronics, I wouldn't have offered an interview if I knew you were showing something as poor as that.

I see,
Thanks.

I programmed an Uc (8051) to drive external circuits, to receive interrupts from external sources (as switches) and to communicate with external ICs (using its communication peripherals).

Would you consider it an high-level development?

I see,
Thanks.

I programmed an Uc (8051) to drive external circuits, to receive interrupts from external sources (as switches) and to communicate with external ICs (using its communication peripherals).

Would you consider it an high-level development?

It depends on the degree of it really, again it's pretty standard school boy stuff - although few hobbiests (apart from the 3rd world) use 8051's.

What sort of position are you applying for?.

It depends on the degree of it really, again it's pretty standard school boy stuff - although few hobbiests (apart from the 3rd world) use 8051's.

What sort of position are you applying for?.

Hi,

I'm gonna be interviewed for 2 positions in 2 different companies.
One is Validation of Cellular Networks,
Second is being a member of the VLSI department of the company.

Perhaps you could elaborate on them from your experience?

Hi,

I'm gonna be interviewed for 2 positions in 2 different companies.
One is Validation of Cellular Networks,
Second is being a member of the VLSI department of the company.

Perhaps you could elaborate on them from your experience?

I've no idea what 'validation of celluar networks' is?, but presumably VLSI is to do with designing VLSI's? and would require a very extensive degree of knowledge.

Perhaps it's just me?, but as a third year student I would expect you to have a huge array of projects you've built over many years, probably more before you started your course than after?.

I'm not sure what the positions you are interviewing for mean, but still being a third year student I would only be interviewing you for an internship/co-op position, definately nothing permanent. Having said that, I would be looking at the technical courses you have taken and see what your depth of knowledge on those subjects is. I wouldn't care to see any schematics, etc, that you would bring in - although I might ask about some of the work experience. Rather, I would likely present you with a scenario that is appropriate to the position in which you are interviewing for and see how you approach it - keeping in mind that you have limited experience. My suggestion to you is to understand the functions of the position that you are interviewing for, research the company, and be honest - if you don't know the answer to something they will know if you're trying to bs through it.

I'm not sure what the positions you are interviewing for mean, but still being a third year student I would only be interviewing you for an internship/co-op position, definately nothing permanent. Having said that, I would be looking at the technical courses you have taken and see what your depth of knowledge on those subjects is. I wouldn't care to see any schematics, etc, that you would bring in - although I might ask about some of the work experience. Rather, I would likely present you with a scenario that is appropriate to the position in which you are interviewing for and see how you approach it - keeping in mind that you have limited experience. My suggestion to you is to understand the functions of the position that you are interviewing for, research the company, and be honest - if you don't know the answer to something they will know if you're trying to bs through it.

Hey,
Just saw your post.

Thanks a lot, it's very helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back