Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

getting a constant a current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rin

how to get a constant current like 200mA if the input ranges from 6v-9v..

is this possible?

should i tap my current out in the emmitter side same as voltage out?

or in the collector side ?

:confused:

Please provide a schematic to explain what you are referring to.

For that circuit your load is connected between the supply voltage and the collector of the transistor as shown in the attached circuit (copied from the wikipedia page linked above).

what if i tap my load in the emitter side that can be my Vout and Iout?..ive checked in the multisim and it gives me sufficient output:confused:

what if i tap my load in the emitter side that can be my Vout and Iout?..ive checked in the multisim and it gives me sufficient output:confused:
If you connect a load of the emitter side (in series with emitter resistor) the load will affect the current drawn. The only case this is acceptable is if the load has a constant resistance, or is much smaller than the emitter resistor: in the former case the current will remain constant, in the latter, it will not change much.

My favorite constant current device (CRD) is a jfet

My favorite constant current device (CRD) is a jfet

Last edited:
thanks guys

how can i maintain a current if no R2 in the circiut or no load?

i tested it on multisim i remove the R2 in the circiut and it gives me 0A

how can i make a same current like 200mA with R2 and 200mA with NO R2 in the circuit?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
thanks guys

how can i maintain a current if no R2 in the circiut or no load?
You cannot with that circuit

i tested it on multisim i remove the R2 in the circiut and it gives me 0A
It would the transistor is OFF

how can i make a same current like 200mA with R2 and 200mA with NO R2 in the circuit?
You cannot , R2 sets the 200mA

**broken link removed**

What is the 200mA going to be used for,?

Last edited:
200mA a sample current rating from the circuit

is there any adjustments in the circiut that i can make to make it possible?

200mA a sample current rating from the circuit

is there any adjustments in the circiut that i can make to make it possible?

I know it may sound as though I am being difficult..:D

Whats the sample current for? give more details of the application.

i am making a simple supply with no use of regulators that can be inputed by 6v-9v and will regulate a 5.1v w/ a current of 200mA ..and there are two conditions
a)w/ load-R2 is not remove
b)no load-R2 is remove or short circiut

Last edited:
i am making a simple supply with no use of regulators that can be inputed by 6v-9v and will regulate a 5.1v w/ a current of 200mA ..and there are two conditions
a)w/ load-R2 is not remove
b)no load-R2 is remove or short circiut

With those conditions its never going to happen with that circuit

You really should try to understand how the constant current source circuit works.

Do you really need a constant current?

Or do you really only need a constant voltage of 5.1 with a current capacity of up to 200mA? If so, then all you need is a simple LDO voltage regulator.

@chris
i need a constant voltage of 5.1 with a current capacity of up to 200mA ...no regulators

@doug
i guess the circiut is only applicable when there is load :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back