Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting 5v 5A from the mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but you offered advice that is correct only in a tiny number of cases - hence I corrected it, almost all are simply black with a tracer.

No sir, you are incorrect. These power supplies, in my experience, often have a pair of individual wires inside of an overall round jacket. Some are as you say in a coaxial arrangement, others are as I have described. Get over you need to think you know more than everybody else. I made the point that this arrangement does exist and caution should be used.

I'm not sure what YOUR point is. That because YOU haven't seen it, it's inconceivable and I am lying about it? That YOURS is the only relevant experience and other people's experience counts for nothing?

No sir, you are incorrect. These power supplies, in my experience, often have a pair of individual wires inside of an overall round jacket. Some are as you say in a coaxial arrangement, others are as I have described. Get over you need to think you know more than everybody else. I made the point that this arrangement does exist and caution should be used.

I'm not sure what YOUR point is. That because YOU haven't seen it, it's inconceivable and I am lying about it? That YOURS is the only relevant experience and other people's experience counts for nothing?

I would suggest you moderate your aggressive language, or you you won't be here very long. If you can't be polite, then I suggest you don't bother saying anything?. This is your only warning!.

No, but you offered advice that is correct only in a tiny number of cases - hence I corrected it, almost all are simply black with a tracer.

I've never seen a tracer on a round cable. I also don't think a round cable assembly can be found that doesn't have the red wire connected to center. DigiKey certainly doesn't carry them - they only have these with red connected to center.

869B79AB-1209-4CAE-B0E6-D875555F6FC5.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I've just looked in my spares archive of wallwarts etc and I have both kinds .. .. .. .. both figure 8 'shotgun' cable with a marking on one core, and double insulated with Red/Black inners. Looking at the ratings the choice may be related to the voltage/current output of the unit, I'm not sure. however ...

.. this

I would suggest you moderate your aggressive language, or you you won't be here very long. If you can't be polite, then I suggest you don't bother saying anything?. This is your only warning!.

.. .. .. in my view is totally unacceptable !
Whilst I have no desire to enter into the debate, there is nothing impolite or rude about the posts, just positively critical of your intransigence, and you should not be using your 'moderator' status to bully members into compliance.

I doubt you will see this as a warning, but if you did it would undoubtedly be your 47th !

S

It wasnt a psu, I think it was a usb power bank I recently took apart, black was + and red - off the battery.
I think some manufacturers just use the first thing on the shelf when assembling these things.

These 'wallwarts' are fine for a small breadboard project or perhaps to some LED lights , but requiring 5v , 5 A It would not be my choice, and controlling motors will require nice 'quiet' logic voltage , most wallwarts are very noisy, switch mode ones are notorious, and the old linear ones tend to let through noise from mains , the bridge rectifier in these can itself be noisy. Better find or build a high quality linear supply using a transformer with an earthed interwinding screen,
with all the suppression caps etc , Found this at ESR Components it is 12v 5 A cost <>50 GBP.

psu.jpg

Last edited:
.. .. .. in my view is totally unacceptable !
Whilst I have no desire to enter into the debate, there is nothing impolite or rude about the posts, just positively critical of your intransigence, and you should not be using your 'moderator' status to bully members into compliance.

I doubt you will see this as a warning, but if you did it would undoubtedly be your 47th !
I agree. Apparently only children are allowed to tell kings they are not wearing any clothing.

It wasnt a psu, I think it was a usb power bank I recently took apart, black was + and red - off the battery.
I think some manufacturers just use the first thing on the shelf when assembling these things.
Given that these sort of things are "use until faulty, then throw away" the colour coding of the wires which no one will ever see again after it has been assembled is irrelevant.
With that in mind, whatever cable assembly is on the shelf, or cheaply available from a supplier so saving a few cents, then that is what will be used.

JimB

All that really matters is the TS gets a supply big enough to do the job and knows how to test it to make sure he hooks it up right

All that really matters is the TS gets a supply big enough to do the job and knows how to test it to make sure he hooks it up right
Ok, if that's all that matters to you. For me, it's all about being so right that my fellow forum members bow to the Uber Correctness, preciseness, and helpfulness of my superior answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back