Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Germanium transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.
i saw a transistor history page on the web, and the story is that Raytheon was making transistors for the military, and if it fell outside the military specs, but still worked, they marked it as a CK722 and sold it on the hobby markets... they also marketed some commercial versions with better defined specs than the hobby devices. this allowed them to recover some of the cost of making transistors that were originally classified as rejects. when i was a kid i had a bunch of CK722 devices but they were really leaky... i'll have to look for that history page again... i think i have it bookmarked on my pc at home.

i saw a transistor history page on the web, and the story is that Raytheon was making transistors for the military, and if it fell outside the military specs, but still worked, they marked it as a CK722 and sold it on the hobby markets...

Probably so, in the UK such devices were usually sold as red spot or white spot transistors.

I see these old transistors and other parts on flea bay when I cruise the "parts or not working" section occasionally (because you never know). It breaks my heart when I think about all the stuff I dismantled as a kid and eventually the parts got lost or experimented on to destruction or opened up to see what's inside, or thrown out when I found newer stuff, and I see something there I know I had and they want £££'s for it. OC-somethings glass envelope filled with gunk and painted black, they were so fascinating to 6yo me, I didn't know what they were....

I had a load of valves too. Wish I still had them. I remember carefully dismantling some of them. Couldn't make sense of what I found. Most components were a mystery.

I could so easily be a vintage component collector, because interesting=beautiful and old=interesting. But I want my parts to actually do something, not just sit there, so I leave them for someone else more interested in the collecting side of things.

Ah well - nostalgia trip over :)

Doubtless, but I didn't do it for fun, I did it to find out what was inside and try to understand it. I was always (and still am, for that matter) amazed by the precision and delicacy in there. Same with metal cased transistors too - some of them were quite elaborate. Obviously the understanding part wasn't going to happen there...

I'm reminded of being out with some other boys (might have been Cubs) and finding the smashed remains of a TV. I showed whoever I was talking to the electron gun - the supports were broken so you could get at the electrodes. I tried to explain what it was. What I got in response was (other boy pulling out what might have been the focus anode) something like "this would make a frying-pan for an action-man, it's just the right size". I knew my cause was lost...

When I was a young teenager, one friend asked me; “how come your conversation always drifts towards transistors?”
Been there, done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back