Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bipolar transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference between BJT (little) and BJT (power). Most people do not know how to make a Power BJT work so they have moved to IGBT which is a BJT with a MOS-Gate, also, people use MOSFETs for power because they are fast and easy to use.

Good cause I was concerned. I seems like most amps and inverters have strictly moved to MOSFETs.

As far as I'm aware most amps still use bipolar, unless you're talking Class-D amps? - there was a short term 'fad' for FET amplifiers, but it didn't last long, too expensive, too unreliable, and their supposed 'benefits' weren't true.

Hopefully the linear IC designers chime in on this.

Some thoughts :

Excluding RF, other considerations......

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Depends upon the application.
BJTs often work better for small signal linear circuits.
MOSFETs or IBTs often work better for switching or power circuits.

As far as I'm aware most amps still use bipolar, unless you're talking Class-D amps? - there was a short term 'fad' for FET amplifiers, but it didn't last long, too expensive, too unreliable, and their supposed 'benefits' weren't true.
Would there be a benefit to using a fet (or a derivative them) on an receivers front-end?

Would there be a benefit to using a fet (or a derivative them) on an receivers front-end?
They have been popular at times, and less so at others, again, cost and reliability are issues - and FET's die much more easily.

For a while the standard front end in radio ham gear was a dual gate MOSFET - who's number I've long since forgotten.

it was the 40673
I remember that one, but the 3N204 is (or was) lower noise and higher frequency rated, a better 2m & 70cm front-end device.
The 40673 has worst case noise 6db @ 200 MHz, while the 3N204 is max 3.5db @200 MHz and 5db @ 450MHz.

All pretty abysmal now, compared to the later stuff like HEMT devices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back