Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Genuine Silicon Coated Wire for Soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

E63

I've been burned now twice with coated plastic on Amazon being sold as silicon coated wire.

I need genuinely silicone coated copper wire, hopefully solid. The thickness is not as critical as finding the right material.

Has anyone had this same frustration, or have a source for the correct wire I am looking for?

Order from a reputable supplier like Digikey or Mouser.

With the poor descriptions on Amazon, (and some blatently false claims), you never know what you're going to get.

Reactions: E63
Order from a reputable supplier like Digikey or Mouser.

With the poor descriptions on Amazon, (and some blatently false claims), you never know what you're going to get.

The prices are unreasonable. I thought perhaps someone had some success with the China junk sellers somewhere that are delivering the wire coating to spec, or there is a reasonably priced source I am not aware of.

Powerwerks is a reputable company I have done business with. They sell short lengths of test lead wire which may be what you want.

Doesn't Amazon sell cheap clothes and shoes? Then do you think they know anything about electrical or electronic anything?

Doesn't Amazon sell cheap clothes and shoes? Then do you think they know anything about electrical or electronic anything?
Have you never heard of Amazon? - they sell books! - and other stuff as well in recent years.

The cheap Chinese sellers are on Amazon Marketplace - nothing to do with Amazon at all, other than using their frontend.

I hadn't considered, but yes that would be useful. My need is more inner chassis point to point wiring. Those look stranded, though that's not the worst thing.
Why do you want silicon?, that's normally used for test leads, which is why it's mostly stranded for flexibility.

Why do you want silicon?, that's normally used for test leads, which is why it's mostly stranded for flexibility.

One reason is more practical than the other...

I need to run small gauge wire near heating elements at times, the plastic gets hard, brittle and discolored. The other reason is aesthetic, it simply looks better in the chassis, so I use it where I don't need it also.

Oh and I am tired of accidentally touching the plastic wire with the soldering iron and getting that smell.

A nit: it's silicone not silicon.
Teflon (PTFE) insulated wire is also very heat resistant.

Has anybody ever seen a soft and rubbery silicone transistor?
Hard as rocks silicon fake boobs?

Many American actresses are staving to death and are flat chested. A few of them get fake enhancements.

Many American actresses are staving to death and are flat chested. A few of them get fake enhancements.
You're watching the wrong type of films! :D

I watched Steven Seagal in Under Siege the other night (one of my favourite films) and where Erika Eleniak jumps out of the cake there's not the slightest relation to flesh in her boobs :D

Boy this thread sure off track fast. :rolleyes:

It does when you spell the word wrong :D

However, not mush use as a thread - he's magically expecting to buy expensive cable for a cheap price.

A reliable source for a reasonable price, now that my motives are questioned. Which a few people have posted suggestions for, magically.

It may not be much use to experts, but for a simple prole like me, it's been helpful. Espectially the PTFE suggestion, I had not considered that as an alternative.

These two kits are both definitely silicone rubber insulated; I got them as I needed some extra flexible power wire for a project.
I've just flame tested a reel from each, to confirm they are really silicone and not some other soft plastic; five seconds in a gas flame had no effect on the larger, the smaller caught fire, leaving an odourless white powder ash - silica. Definitely silicone rubber!

If you want some single strand type that can withstand an occasional touch from a soldering iron, look at Kynar insulated wire-wrap wire. I use that a lot, for both wire wrap construction and general prototyping interconnects, and it can definitely stand brief contact with no visible effect.
It is very fine though, so not suitable for anything but small signal connections.

I just use normal PVC for most stuff though.

For running in high temperature areas, I'd consider bare copper of a suitable size plus PTFE or fibreglass/silicone sleeving. That's what I use for rebuilding motor resistor banks, like in the second photo.

Silicone wire.jpg

Motor_Resistor.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back