Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

triple_access

i still dont know the difference between an altanator and generator but here is my thought...

A shock that holds a back Glass up on a car. these usualy go bad! theres usualy 2 of them...
a skate board bearing, or hardware store. these fit like factory around the shock on the car once the shaft is removed from the car.

a square Block, maybee metel. with a machined hole threw the center.

now you have a shaft with a block on it, maybee tack the block on the shaft. the block will be for wrapping copper coated wire.

brushes from any moter off of a car or skill saw etc,, can be designed to work for this ac project.

finaly the magnets. I have 2 magnets from a "shack up flashlight" These are the strongest magnets i have ever seen!!! and trust me,, ive seen olot of magnets.

what size wire to use????? how many wraps???? do we need a propeller??? heat ?????

I would enjoy to hear each and every one of your ideals... Please i cant wait!!!!! Thanks:eek:

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    198.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
The definitions I am familiar with:

Alternator produces alternating current initially, even though the alternator includes diodes to provide direct current.

A generator produces direct current.

stevez said:
The definitions I am familiar with:

Alternator produces alternating current initially, even though the alternator includes diodes to provide direct current.

I would suggest 'may' include diodes?, many alternators are used purely to provide AC.

A generator produces direct current.

Yes, otherwise known as a dynamo, it's actually self rectifying, with the brushes effectively switching the AC to DC.

My design, dont know if it's an alternator or generator, I have ac ac/dc converter curcuit attached too.

Attachments

• GEN.bmp
    263.7 KB · Views: 134
  • ACDC.bmp
    64 KB · Views: 123
catcat said:
My design, dont know if it's an alternator or generator, I have ac ac/dc converter curcuit attached too.

It's a crude alternator - basically (and probably over-simplified?), an alternator spins the magnet, and a dynamo spins the coils.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I would suggest 'may' include diodes?, many alternators are used purely to provide AC.

Yes, otherwise known as a dynamo, it's actually self rectifying, with the brushes effectively switching the AC to DC.

I Believe a Dynamo uses Permant Magnets on the field.

A Generator uses Electro Magnets for the field.

And Neither are Self Rectifying. There Are No Rectifiers.
But they Do Deliver DC from the Armature.

Alternators, Sort of work in reverse, the Electromagnets are in the Armature and the AC Comes from the Field windings.
In Cars, this is Usually in a 3 Phase arrangement and than Diodes to rectify it.

chemelec said:
And Neither are Self Rectifying. There Are No Rectifiers.
But they Do Deliver DC from the Armature.

I would disagree!, the switching action of the brushes on the commutator form a syncronous rectifier, converting the AC from the armature to DC.

Wikipedia has this to say about it:
Commutators enable motors to run on, and generators to produce, direct current instead of alternating current.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's a crude alternator - basically (and probably over-simplified?), an alternator spins the magnet, and a dynamo spins the coils.

My idea is that since theres no brshes, it will serve longer and there's no complex rotor to wind. I would just make an alternator and acdc converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back