Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

generator from an alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

I was thinking of building a generator from an alternator to run my new welder...(a Millermatic 175)

this welder pulls 220v and 20 amps

is there any way to build a generator to run my welder and have an outlet for a 110V 20A outlet?

Get an OLD Type Car Alternator, One that has a Seperate Regulator.

Eliminate the Rectifiers and Don't use the Regulator.
At about 4000 RPM on the Motor will give you 220 volts.

chemelec said:
At about 4000 RPM on the Motor will give you 220 volts.

But not at 60Hz.

Probably not 20 amps either.. I have a Miller 175 that I run off of a 5500w
generator, anything less and I think you'll be dissapointed..

What motor would you use to turn it? You'll need 5.89812332 HP for 20 amps at 220V, assuming everything is nearly 100% efficient. (which it never is)

Does anyone know what the efficiency of a modern car alternator is?

It sounds like you're looking for a high powered DC-AC inverter. I've seen these used in small generator projects and most were designed to output the constant 60Hz you'd expect from a real-life mains. I don't know any models by spec. or name, but you can probably check with some generator or solar equipment retailers.

jrz126 said:
Does anyone know what the efficiency of a modern car alternator is?

30% is a good ball park figure for electro-mechanical devices. If you get any higher than that it is considered very efficient.

Inside a car engine bay the heat can do horrible things to an alternators efficiency. In an open air enviroment you can expect better results, I guess It would depend on your planned duty cycle and rpm of both the motor and alternator. In my setup for charging 12V batteries and solar backup for a beach shack i will be using a 120A Alternator driven from a 5.5hp Chinese Honda clone motor for 43%.

What are you planning to weld at 175 Amps?

Attachments

• project_number__xx.jpg
    project_number__xx.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 738
Why have the AC step in between? Why not just run the alternator directly like this guy?: **broken link removed**
Just a thought!
:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back