Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gen.Inst. SP0256-AL2 speech processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecioppi

Hi,

This older speech chip used allophones of English to synthesize spoken words. It was sold in RadioShack years ago, but is scarce now. I would like to take advantage of the parallel data inputs. Can anyone direct me to a source of these old chips or a functional equivalent?

joecioppi

This older speech chip used allophones of English to synthesize spoken words. It was sold in RadioShack years ago, but is scarce now. I would like to take advantage of the parallel data inputs. Can anyone direct me to a source of these old chips or a functional equivalent?

That was a fun chip to play with in its day, the Votrax SC-01 too. (I have an SPO256-AL2 but it's not available, alas, sorry.)

I poked around and can't find a source either...

Thanks Corey,

That was fast for finding the needle in the haystack. I'll buy one if I come across $30...ha...

I want to get it to play random allophones loaded from a counter chip.

Joe

Last edited:
sp0256

Hi,

I found a few tubes of NOS, SP0256A-080's in one of my older chip boxes today:) They are used for speech, robot kits etc and pretty hard to find new. They are 86 date codes, and the cost is $12 shipped in the US and $15 worldwide. I can also sell all 30 pcs for $225 shipped worldwide. Here is a little info from the web on the chip:

The SP0256-080 produces all 59 phonemes of the English language plus 5 pauses of different
durations. This is the simplest approach to universal speech synthesis and the speech quality makes for a
good robot voice. Each of the phoneme's speech patterns are individually addressable, making the
SP0256-080 capable of saying anything that can be said in the English language. This chip is rare and
getting harder to find! Features: Cool "Retro" Robotic Speech * Stand Alone Operation with inexpensive
support components * Allophone Synthesis.

Thanks,
Mark Capps

Attachments

• spo.jpg
    spo.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 581
Hi,

I found a few tubes of NOS, SP0256A-080's in one of my older chip boxes today:) They are used for speech, robot kits etc and pretty hard to find new. They are 86 date codes, and the cost is $12 shipped in the US and $15 worldwide. I can also sell all 30 pcs for $225 shipped worldwide. Here is a little info from the web on the chip:

The SP0256-080 produces all 59 phonemes of the English language plus 5 pauses of different
durations. This is the simplest approach to universal speech synthesis and the speech quality makes for a
good robot voice. Each of the phoneme's speech patterns are individually addressable, making the
SP0256-080 capable of saying anything that can be said in the English language. This chip is rare and
getting harder to find! Features: Cool "Retro" Robotic Speech * Stand Alone Operation with inexpensive
support components * Allophone Synthesis.

Thanks,
Mark Capps

Are they the allophone version?

They have to be SPO256-AL2 for the allophone version.
I have a PC board using the chip with amplififer and an article with a dictionary of words.

I also have an SPO256 speech synthesis chip, without a datasheet. Its whereabouts isn't known, I know it's on my listed inventory.
I am keeping my eyes open for the Radio Shack speech kit that uses this chip, so I can experiment with robotic speech for my voicemail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back