Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gear indicator project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Dutton

I fitted a gear indicator to my bike engined car, it uses a wheel speed sensor and a feed from the tacho to compute the gear. Unfortunately it stops working above 4500rpm. Since the engine revs to 11000, this is a problem. I suspect the unit can't handle the pulse rate from the tacho output.
So can anyone help with a simple divide-by-n circuit using a TI CD4018B chip, to reduce the frequency.

4500 rpm is only 75 Hz. That is not a very high upper frequency limit for electronics. Can you post a drawing of your circuit so we can better help? John

The gear indicator is an off the shelf design by Biketronix, they have been less than helpfull. I agree that 75Hz is slow, but I don't know how many pulses/rev are generated by the ECU.
I have asked other bikers forums about these displays non so far are positive. My plan was to experiment with a reduced frequency, to see if this had an effect. I have tried reducing the input voltage from a maximum of 10.5 volts, to 6 volts but this had zero effect on the point the display starts to display incorrect values ( a "n" for neutral).
I did try reducing and increasing the wheel speed pulses without effect.

I am thinking either the input signal is not good enough or the shift light unit is bad.

Can you hook a scope to the tach signal to see what it looks like below and above 4500 rpm. Does it look different with and without the gear indicator unit in place.

I wonder how it should work. Not shifting gears results probably in highest possible engine rpm, but no gear indication. :confused:

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back