Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GE Transistor Radio Repair/ Signal Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlasota

Good morning,

I inherited an older GE transistor radio that I'd like to listen to Cubs games on. I can get most FM stations in my area, however, on any given day, I cannot get any AM stations. Is there something I should begin looking for to point out repair needs or a cheap way to boost the AM signal? I'm very handy when it comes to mechanical issues, and somewhat handy with electrical ones. Just wondering where to start. The specific model is a General Electric 7-25826.

Attachments

• e90d904cba33e27f6be19eae9ba7b61f.jpg
    e90d904cba33e27f6be19eae9ba7b61f.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 180
Some days you can, some days you can't? First thing I would check is the mode switch. Make sure the connections it is supposed to make are being made.

clean the AM-FM switch with Deoxit. while you are at it, clean the volume control as well... the AM antenna (the black ferrite bar with wire wrapped around it) is somewhat directional and works best when broadside to the transmitter.

Good morning,

I inherited an older GE transistor radio that I'd like to listen to Cubs games on. I can get most FM stations in my area, however, on any given day, I cannot get any AM stations. Is there something I should begin looking for to point out repair needs or a cheap way to boost the AM signal? I'm very handy when it comes to mechanical issues, and somewhat handy with electrical ones. Just wondering where to start. The specific model is a General Electric 7-25826.
Open it up and take a survey. Look for rust, black copper oxide, evidence of damage from leaking batteries (which may have leaked in the 1970s). Then look for electrolytic capacitors that may have dried out and need to be replaced. Corrosion is funky because conductivity can change with humidity and drive you crazy. Open it up and post some photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back