Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GE Pre-Lit Christmas tree fuse change help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjack9815

Hey there,

Newbie here and was hoping this would be the right community to ask about this problem. If I sound like a dummie please forgive me, this is all very foreign stuff to me :)

So I have a pre-lit tree, and I'm pretty sure the fuse blew. It was plugged in, then unplugged, plugged it back in, lights flickers, pretty sure I heard a slight *snap* then went out. Outlet still works, so it's definitely a problem with the tree itself.

Everywhere I've looked online I'm finding that getting a new adaptor (GT-30V12) will be next to impossible. GE's own website is sold out, and it's not a Prime option on Amazon. Went to the Lowe's where I purchased it last year, they don't carry it solo (although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to swipe one off a display tree of the same model but, ya know... Santa's watchin').

Instead, they gave me a $1.50 two-pack of 125-volt GE fuses. Figured I could just replace the fuse. But I'm having a hell of a time figuring out where on this thing I could even do that, or if the fuse is even IN the adaptor. (There's a separate foot pedal that controls the lights, that connects from the adaptor to the tree itself, but it wouldn't be in there, would it?)

Pics below

I just want to know how I can replace the fuse, or if that's even possible. Trying to save the $15 and week-plus of an unlit tree that the alternative would require. Thank you in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 7.46.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-06 at 7.46.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-06 at 7.46.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-06 at 7.46.57 PM.png

If there is a fuse inside, then you're going to have to pop the cover open since there aren't any screws.

Or the fuse could be in the foot pedal if it's sitting between the supply and the lights. GO after whatever has screws on it.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll def try the fix first, but at least there's a quick replacement option there. Merry Christmas guys.

The connector on your original power supply looks non standard so you will probably have to do something to adapt the connector. NOTE. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT REVERSE THE POLARITY as it would probably destroy the LEDs in the light string. It may be possible to remove the socket from the faulty power supply and use that. If you open the old power supply there will be an electrolytic capacitor that maybe still charged. Short it out to make shure it is discharged or it could give you a shock if you toutch the connections. It will probably be the largest capacitor in the power supply

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back