Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate / Garage Door Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

You know those gate or garage door remotes, with the little set of ten or twelve switches inside. The ones where you put a little battery in, press a button, a light comes on, and an invisible man / woman (cant tell) opens your door / gate. The ones you keep on your keyring. I want / need to make 1 of those. What's involved?

I would like to put it inside a PDA i'm making. As well as (if possible), a watch.

The kind of miniturisation required to put this into a watch would probably mean you need custom ICs made, or a very big watch :lol:

The easier, and more compact way of doing this is with infra red, but this does mean you need to point the keyfob at the sensor for it to work. The other alternative is RF, but this can be tricky. I would try to find an IR remote kit on the web, google should find some results.

So what do the gate remotes use?
Is it RF?
<excuse my ignorance>

i dont want to develop my own system, just make my own remote, for fun.
I have a bit of useful knowledge, just wondering if there are other means of transmitting other than IR or what people refer to as RF.

Clyd3 said:
So what do the gate remotes use?
Is it RF?
<excuse my ignorance>

Some use IR, but most use RF (Radio Frequency), in very old ones ultrasonics were used!.

The small size and low cost of these makes building your own rather pointless?, you can buy ready made ones in keyfobs, along with the receivers to match them. It also complys with the licencing requirements, and if you're buying a transmitter (to satisfy the licence requirements), you may as well buy the complete keyfob.

Have a look at where 1,2 or 3 channel keyfobs are only £9.99

thanks for the link, now I understand, cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back