Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage Parking Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

manofgresley

Hi.
I am looking for a schematic / circuit drawing of a simple detection device.

When my car enters the garage I want a detector to switch on an LED or a light bulb on the opposite wall to the door entrance, when the car clears the detector the light goes out, i don't suppose the voltage matters, but low voltage 12>24 vdc is good, but could make 240 vac safe. the distance for the detector to see the car would be 150 > 450 mm
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Ray

Inductive metal detector, you could place one that has range of detection at least equal to the distance between garage floor and the lower chassis of your car (but not too far to not be triggered by something else like garage gate etc.) you could make a hole for it in the garage floor so it would be completely hidden in floor (no risk of stepping on it) and make for it a circuit that will turn on and off the light.

Depending on the sensor you will need less or more complicated cirucit to operate the light.

Are you trying to park your own car in your garage, or are you trying to count cars entering a public garage? Do you need to keep track of cars going out as well as in?
Will the cars be single file? Is the exit lane different from the entrance lane?
John

Hi.
I am looking for a schematic / circuit drawing of a simple detection device.

When my car enters the garage I want a detector to switch on an LED or a light bulb on the opposite wall to the door entrance, when the car clears the detector the light goes out, i don't suppose the voltage matters, but low voltage 12>24 vdc is good, but could make 240 vac safe. the distance for the detector to see the car would be 150 > 450 mm
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Ray

My guess from your post is you want a sensor at a garage entry point. When a vehicle is passing the sensor point you want a light turned on for the duration the vehicle is passing the sensor?

Should that be correct you can think about using an IR (Infrared) transmitter receiver to detect when a vehicle is passing the beam (IR beam break detector circuit). The
MK120 IR BEAM BREAK DETECTOR - MK120 - VELLEMAN KIT would be an example of something that could be modified for your purposes. Another option for a sensor might be to use an ultrasonic range finder module. This is an example of a module with an analog output. The output of the ultrasonic range finder would be sent to a simple comparator circuit. Anyway, those are a few rough ideas. Here in the US garage door safety sensors that use an IR beam can be had for about $25 USD but I have never used them and I believe most have a pulse signal out when the beam is broken.

Just a few guesses on my part.

Ron

the ball on a string is simple and cheap for own garage. the way i read original post is that system is needed to help park car in any garage (public places too). in that case ball on a string is not going to work, this is usually solved using ultrasound ranging or cameras. you can use standard ones like PING from paralax but they would not last long on a car because dust etc would get into the sensor. for car you need sealed/waterproof sensor like 14C01 (scroll to the bottom of the page):

https://www.futurlec.com/Ultrasonic_Sensors.shtml

the ball on a string is simple and cheap for own garage. the way i read original post is that system is needed to help park car in any garage (public places too). in that case ball on a string is not going to work

Just hang the ball from a short pole mounted to the back of your car... simple!

yes my question is the same as John, are you trying to count cars or you want to create a parking sensor. If you want to create parking sensor there are lot of circuits available. Here are few which are using IR transmitter and receiver :
https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/reverse-car-parking-circuit
https://www.electronicshub.org/reverse-parking-sensor-circuit/

The OP sold his car 2 years ago and now is a convinced pedestrian. He also sold the pole... and the balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back