Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GARAGE DOOR OPENER MOTOR WIRING

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeniorCitizen75

{new to forum...a little help please)
I have a Motor from a Legacy 696 cd/b garage door opener, along with the start capacitor. I want to use the motor for other uses.
It has normal green ground wire and one-each BLACK, RED, ORANGE YELLOW

I got it to turn CW and CCW....which is what I wanted.
But I don't know what to do with the RED wire.

(Lets label capacitor terminals left-1 right-1 left-2 right-2
Here's what I did:
YELLOW to left-1 terminal of capacitor;
ORANGE to left-2 terminal of capacitor
BLACK to Power Cord BLACK
RED not connected

Power Cord BLACK connected to motor BLACK
Touch Power Cord WHITE to right-1 capacitor terminal (motor goes CW)
Touch Power Cord WHITE to
right-2 capacitor terminal (motor goes CCW)

Looking at a schematic I found on the web, it shows the RED wire coming out of the motor and going to a garage door opener Sequence Box. I believe the red wire is part of the thermal overload within the motor, but I just don't know what to connect the RED wire to.

Most garage door motor circuits look like this one:

Your AC mains power White should be neutral and AC mains hot wire should be black Connect AC mains White to the red motor wire and then connect AC mains black to either Yellow or Orange which should reverse rotation. Using a SPDT (Single Pole Double Pole) switch should allow you to change direction. Just remember that your AC mains Ground is tied to Neutral and you entry (N. America Residential Power). So treat your AC Mains (White) accordingly) and switch your AC mains hot (black).

That is my guess.
Ron

Do a Google search for PSC (permanent start cap) motor, it can easily be reversed with a SPDT with centre off switch.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back