Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ganging Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

vejadude

Ressurrecting a Wards Airline Tube amp and noticed a 40 mfd Electrolytic cap leaking
It looks to be a filter cap as its rated for 400vdc > I have two 22mfd rated at 450vdc
can I gang the two together to replace it?

Hi vejadude. Welcome to ETO!

It really depends on exactly what the cap is doing. In some filtering applications, a couple of microfarads extra won't make much of a difference, but in others it will. A schematic of the amp would be helpful.
Anyway, if you figure out that it is okay, you should be able to connect the capacitors in parallel to double the capacitance. You may need an extra board to make them fit, though.

I hope this helps!
Der Strom

Danke Sehr Her Strom
It is part of the power supply filtering s it should be fine . Getting the schematics though may be a bit of a challenge

Danke Sehr Her Strom
It is part of the power supply filtering s it should be fine . Getting the schematics though may be a bit of a challenge

How about the model number for the amp? That may be enough to go on. Google is amazing :D

Of course you can parallel the capacitors, DerStrom8 is worrying without reason.

It won't make any difference - if anything a few extra uF will improve it.

Bear in mind these things have massive tolerences, +20%/-40% aren't unknown.

If the caps you are putting in have been laying around for several years it is a good idea to reform the electrolytic cap gradually before putting it in the circuit. You can put about a 10k resistor in series with the cap and connect it to operating voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back