Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GAL / PAL programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonxer

Back when I was an undergrad, we did some GAL or PAL programming (not sure which of those, or if there even is a difference in the two terms). They were made by Lattice. I don't remember what kind of programmer did the actual fuses, nor what software we used. So I'm wondering three things: Is there a place I could get a good pre-made GAL/PAL programmer (under US $50), a good place to get GALs/PALs, and what software is available to program them. I feel like such a noob asking the same PIC questions. :p

I am taking a digital class in college right now. We are learning about how the GAL's work and will be programming them soon. Give me a few days and I'll get back to you on the software and hardware we will use.
~Mike

CPLDs (the same idea but with more logic) often use JTAG. Xilinx has free software for their CPLDs that lets you bitbang JTAG through the parallel port. ISE Webpack it the free design software. Digikey has Xilinx CPLDs for under 5$.

for gal/pal programming i have abel software (works in ms dos) you can set your equations and by test vectors u can simulate all equations and can check the results before actual programming. once programming is done u get ur hex file ready and then u can program pal/gal through any window based universal programmers i am using supropro programmer model no 280U.

Wow, Gal/Pal is really old school. Abel was a cool programing tool in the 80's Also look look up CUPL and Palasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back