Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Funny project

Status
Not open for further replies.

juan123

Just for the heck of it, I'd like to build a slow calculator. Say, you press 2+2 and it takes like 10 seconds to compute. Is this posssible? I'd be a cool and funny project. Thanks!

rip open a calculator, find its clock and put alot slower one in

Actually, this is probably really hard to do. Last time I saw inside an ordinary, non-scientific calculator, it was just a board with a little resin blob on it, everything was in there.

You may find it works much slower is you lower the supply voltage. Some seem to, some dont. So, it may be as simple as placing a resistor after the battery.

It certainly would be funny, if it worked :lol: , give it to someone to borrow, then see how long it is before they give it back; and try and find another one.

ok

ok, what should I start with? I just want a project to keep me busy. I'm bored. Its vacations this week , and then school starts. thanks!

yea

Yea, i found a black blob on my calculator with i think a little capacitor.... It WOULD be funny.....to lend this calculator to a friend....LOL

You could always go back to the days of combination logic and use a 74181 arithmetic logic IC. Course it will only do 2 1 digit numbers.

Meaby puting a lower freq. cristal (there on the bord) but it wodnt lower its operating freq enuf (you wod need an atlest 10 Hz crictal LOL)

All the modern ones have an black blob.Thats where the complicated IC is

Meaby puting an 555 timer deley on the "=" key

funny that - read the 2nd post!!

Well i wodnt expect a watch in a caculator :lol:

Ok ok

An clock in an thingy that makes an high freq. scuvare wave signal that is used to set the speed of the caculators procesor (well its an wery primitive type of an procesor)

If this square wave was 1-10 Hz you cod somtimes caculate it faster the it does (what is you wod set your PCs clock to 10 Hz LOL)

But this is a problem by caculators since they have evriting on the IC (that strange blob) but there is almost always an crystal on the circuit.

Baysicly ass you lock at the circuit there is noting on the cicuit but the IC,some caps,a crictal,button matrix and an batery

What are you writing!!! that makes no sense.

I posted

rip open a calculator, find its clock and put alot slower one in

A clock can be any freqency from 1X10^(-inf) to 1x10^(inf) Hz

The ASIC of the calculator will run from a clock. That clock will be a crytsal oscillator!!!!

Find it, remove it, replace with slower one!!! slow calculation of the calculator.
That might not work though IF the calculator uses DRAM inside

Yes BUT the oscilator circuit is on the IC only the crystal is outside the it!

I riped a cuple of caculators a part (ones i got for free) and all i seen i it was the black blob(the IC),1-3 Caps,1-3 resistors,a crystal,batery and a key matrix

Meby if you wod get an wery old one

So where are you going to get an 10 Hz Crystal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back