Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fun with a reversing camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
I borrowed a van from work tonight (as I had a three piece suite to collect), and because it has no rear windows in the van, we installed a small reversing camera in it a while back.

The camera is mounted on the back doors, and connected to the reversing lights, so when you select reverse the camera is powered, and transmits to the small receiver TV at the front. I presume it's 2.4GHz or so?.

Anyway, the guy who normally drives the van leaves the little TV unplugged as he never uses it, but I plugged it back in. Driving along I couldn't help noticing pictures appeared in a number of places, could be quite fun driving round seeing what you might find? :D

I borrowed a van from work tonight (as I had a three piece suite to collect), and because it has no rear windows in the van, we installed a small reversing camera in it a while back.

The camera is mounted on the back doors, and connected to the reversing lights, so when you select reverse the camera is powered, and transmits to the small receiver TV at the front. I presume it's 2.4GHz or so?.

Anyway, the guy who normally drives the van leaves the little TV unplugged as he never uses it, but I plugged it back in. Driving along I couldn't help noticing pictures appeared in a number of places, could be quite fun driving round seeing what you might find? :D

I bet it would be trivial for you to capture the images/video. That would be fun! Kinda like war-driving but worse. :eek:

Remember those baby monitors (maybe they still have them... I don't need them anymore), you could pick up neighbors conversations and all kinds of stuff.

Is this your driver ? I got this image on my camera. :p

**broken link removed**

kv

Now that's amusing =) 2.4ghz is pretty common, you're probably tapping into neighbors 'security' cameras =O

At that frequency, I would imagine you would have to almost be on top of the transmitter to receive anything? I wouldn't think it would have much of an antenna on the receive end if all its ment to do is pick up a transmitter 10 feet away.

What kind of stuff did you see? :p

If you want to have some fun, jack up your transmitters power and play music videos or something absurd on it like a Rick rolled clip in a loop.

I
Remember those baby monitors (maybe they still have them... I don't need them anymore), you could pick up neighbors conversations and all kinds of stuff.

I sure do. And those old ~900mhz cordless phones. :D ;)

At that frequency, I would imagine you would have to almost be on top of the transmitter to receive anything? I wouldn't think it would have much of an antenna on the receive end if all its ment to do is pick up a transmitter 10 feet away.

What kind of stuff did you see? :p

I was driving along, so couldn't really look and see - but some were from residental houses, and some from industrial units.

Just driving down the road, and pictures appear as you go past - excellent quality as well, and obviously drops off as you move further away and disappears.

I've had around 100m range from some of the 2.4Ghz video senders.

I'm sure there could be some rather interesting pictures from premises who don't realise how insecure they actually are .....

I wonder what you'd pick up with a directional antenna.

I connected my 2.4GHz Hi Gain Directional aerial WiFi to a reciever for a video sender and was treated to views of many of the local rear gardens and front doors and even the security cameras of two local businesses. By the way I live on the 14th floor of a tower block.

Most interesting.

I have a cheap 2.4GHz camera in my front yard and it goes 75' no problem and pretty clear. Have not tested its max range.

So as you drive I would think you would have the picture for a little bit of time if it works like my set. Might have to drop an inverter, the receiver and a monitor in the car sometime and see what we have around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back