Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fun prank (for you), not fun prank for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

In my computer hardware class, I wrote a batch file that upon running it ERASES your system32 folder (all the files that it can). It erases, which means it is completely wiped off the hard drive. It then opens various programs until the user reboots. When it loads, it gets a error message saying "missing DLL kernel" or something similar. Presto you killed their computer! They then have to reinstall xp.

these are lab computers, so every week or so we wipe them anyways. Well now I have a more fun way to do it. next step will be an autorun on a cd that does it.

You might want to be careful with that. Regardless of whether or not they wipe the machines every week if you're caught doing that you're violating multiple laws and all it takes is one cranky teacher to get you in a heaping helping of legal trouble. Not to mention possible civil penalties.

I'd recommend reading the hackers manifesto
**broken link removed**

Destroying data with batch files and using auto run from a CD (not to be offensive) just makes you a script kiddy and one of the lowest forms of 'intelligent' people there are. It proves nothing, and it's deliberately malicious, neither of which are good reasons to do something. Believe me, no one is laughing but you and people that don't know better.

Last edited:
The really funny part will be when it accidentally wipes your system.

Mike.

Besides of conflicting with laws messing up other's PC's won't do you any good, meaning you won't gain any profit. :p

I did something similar when I attended a programming course.

My neighbor used to copy my work by peeking over my shoulder.

During a break I "bent" his basic interpreter a bit.

After the break he ran the program which didn't work since he had a big typo in it. (Syntax error)

Next he typed "list" and got a blank screen. :) Peeks and Pokes are great!

Boncuk

Last edited:
The trick is... to play a practical joke without pissing anybody off.... or causing YOU to have to reload a box. Most of the time it's harmless stuff, changing wallpaper, or the sounds when a new email comes in. (yet another reason I run linux at work... the wintel admins can't access my machine! :D)

If you DO want to piss somebody off... make sure they can't trace it back to you... hide your tracks (printers are great for that). But 'cmon... Like Sceadwian said, nobody is really impressed with script kiddie behavior and more importantly "Do unto others..."

But I see the (blunt) point of the OP. Gonna have to reimage it anyway and if it doesn't cause anyone lost time in the lab... have a little fun.

You might want to be careful with that. Regardless of whether or not they wipe the machines every week if you're caught doing that you're violating multiple laws and all it takes is one cranky teacher to get you in a heaping helping of legal trouble. Not to mention possible civil penalties.

I'd recommend reading the hackers manifesto
**broken link removed**

Destroying data with batch files and using auto run from a CD (not to be offensive) just makes you a script kiddy and one of the lowest forms of 'intelligent' people there are. It proves nothing, and it's deliberately malicious, neither of which are good reasons to do something. Believe me, no one is laughing but you and people that don't know better.

Not this teacher. The teacher (referred to as mr b.) is a very laid back teacher dedicated to teaching, but only teaches if you are willing to learn. He has been one of the newer teachers on, and when we faced cuts he was the first to go. I got a petition going with 350 signitures and luckily they kept him as energy manager and teacher. I also talk to him regularly. The school and mr b. do not see level, and they give him as little funding as possible, therefore he needed donations of a sort. I donated several computers and a box of hardware to the class and helped kids in class with work. Weekly we reinstall operating systems to get the kids use to doing it. In fact, some kids put games on the computers (suprise) and when I went around wiping the machines, he was rather glad to be rid of the gamers in the class (pentium 2 and 3's). Not only does the school have a totally hands off approach to the class and the people in it, but they do not care what our class does so long as it does not interrupt the others. BTW this sounds rather offensive towards me and seeing as I helped him keep his job and help the class, I think he is rather glad to have me in the class.

"script kiddy and one of the lowest forms of 'intelligent' people there are. It proves nothing, and it's deliberately malicious, neither of which are good reasons to do something. Believe me, no one is laughing but you and people that don't know better"

The really funny part will be when it accidentally wipes your system.

Mike.

No, they fear me and my autorun cd (I have one that automatically throws a bunch of stuff under startup that opens calc, etc upon boot).

There are about 30 kids in the class, and 2 sets of computers, the lab systems (do what you want systems) and school systems (ones that are blocked and cannot do anything to). Kids install games on the lab systems, play games etc and then I go in and revert whatever crap they put on that shouldnt be there. Then if they want to play games they have to look at notes, etc to relearn how to install xp so they can do it again. I dont violate the rules and have fun at the same time. I bring my own comp in and they don't do anything to anybody else, so its fine all around.

Krumlink... from what you say it's not MR B you need to worry about, it's EVERYONE else. I didn't say it had to be the teacher that was responsible for the class to get you in trouble.. Seriously, immediately stop. If any adult in that school that doesn't like Mr B gets wind of what you're doing/have done you and or he is toast! If he knows what you're doing and is allowing it he could be summarily dismissed from his job, or criminal charges could be brought against HIM for allowing the behavior to occur. I'm being DEAD serious here. Even if he doesn't know what you're doing the witch hunt that could occur afterwards from the other teachers would be bad.

Now it's not just you that I'm worried about.

Last edited:
I suppose it's passe to open a lot of programs, screen capture, and then load that capture as wallpaper.

At the very least, let Mr.B know of your hackery antics and afford him an opportunity to advise you in any pitfalls that could result from your actions. If he is worth a petition, then he is worth seeking council... :)

Last edited:
This reminds me when i put one of those screensavers that pretend to be the bsod(blue screen of deth) on my dads computer... :p

At the very least, let Mr.B know of your hackery antics and afford him an opportunity to advise you in any pitfalls that could result from your actions. If he is worth a petition, then he is worth seeking council... :)

Who do you think gave me the idea?

Look, the school doesn't care about mr b. much and has a "laissez-faire" attitude to the class. If you knew him personally you would realize that he is a laid back friendly guy. Sceadwian, our school has the most rediculous technology rules. Kids openly text in teachers and they say "put it away" only to continue texting. To my english teacher I took a printscreen of her desktop and put all the icons in a folder and hid it to the side. The teachers here at my HS are different than perhaps your HS teachers. So as long as I do not physically harm the computers or the teachers, I am fine. Other kids in that class are about 1/10 of the level as me, and many play games, and I get my work done. I am a A and B student, and they typically let the good grade students do what they want really.

Its like a virus...but for computers! I can't belive no one has thought of this before!

I can apreciate the antics and creativity that having above average knowlege and skill can provide. And being able to get some self entertainment value out of it is great too.
I have used some dirty tricks of my own over the years to sink a bad boss and a couple of lieing cheating co workers.

But as long as you know whats at risk be ready for the possible consequences!

Get one hot tempered school mate that does not see the humor in your antics and I would not be surprized to see you get jumped in some parking lot and beat down.
YOU may not see the reasoning or humor behind it but hey, its what HE knows and does best!

I dont know that kids really care about the wellfare of the school computers, its more likely he would get caught and prosecuted.

Who do you think gave me the idea?

Look, the school doesn't care about mr b. much and has a "laissez-faire" attitude to the class. If you knew him personally you would realize that he is a laid back friendly guy. Sceadwian, our school has the most rediculous technology rules. Kids openly text in teachers and they say "put it away" only to continue texting. To my english teacher I took a printscreen of her desktop and put all the icons in a folder and hid it to the side. The teachers here at my HS are different than perhaps your HS teachers. So as long as I do not physically harm the computers or the teachers, I am fine. Other kids in that class are about 1/10 of the level as me, and many play games, and I get my work done. I am a A and B student, and they typically let the good grade students do what they want really.

It appears to me that you have convoluted thoughts towards your school administration or they truly do have their heads in the sand. Everything you mention is squarely against academic ethics and contributes at the root level of the bleak secondary education system in this country. Perhaps this "laissez-faire" is nothing more than a tiger in waiting.... being the school's admin. waiting for the opportune time to pounce on Mr. B. A good, effective teacher is proactive and not "laid back". Seems that your petition may have garnered further retardation of the true learning process that's intended by the school district and paid for by the district's residents. Shame, shame!:(

I find it quite sad that someone can start a thread like this and not be completely castigated. Writing destructive code (even though it is naive) is just criminal and should be frowned upon by all members here.

Krumlink, all I can say is Grow up.

Mike.

Its hard to say for sure.
But judging a school from a distance is rather wrong too. One kids views of how a school works is very limited information to go by. :(

There are in fact many schools that do have far more politics than educational concerns within them selves. There are countless examples of schools with overall very poor performance both in the student and faculty bodies because of misplaced priorities. :mad:

I have seen very good teachers get run off for the wrong and unjustified reasons and yet saw teachers that should have had criminal charges brought up against them year after year get raises and praise from a screwed up school board and some clever misdirection to wards what the public sees. :mad:

What I get out of it is, Mr. B's laid back attitude is likely because he knows the system he is a part of doesn't care and he is content with taking a paycheck as long as he can get one.
If they run him off so what! A far worse teacher may just replace him. The laid back guys are some time laid back because they have a solid fall back plan already in place. ;)

I have pushed myself hard all of my adult working life because I know that no matter what an employer says at the hiring never never trust that to be 100% true or that the situation you were hired under will stay the way it was! :(:)

For all we know a change of school board members and or management could turn Mr B's outlook around or perhaps make his methods a positive example and the rest of the teachers may end up being the ones hoping a positive student petition helps them keep their jobs! ;)

If your going to continue the computer foolery at least do something positive with it. Find your schools dirty laundry and make it public! Your most likely going to get boiled alive for your actions eventually so why not try to make you school a better place before you get strung up!

Whistle blowers get shot in the head, The people that they ratted out are slow roasted until well done! :eek:

My local public school "misplaced" a $100K on the records books years ago and never said a word about it for several years! To this day I would still like to know the truth to were it went or how it happened. :mad:

If your school Is that bad, your local public needs an honest inside view of whats really going on. School boards and administration have some very tactful ways of keeping the real goings on rather on the secret side of what the public sees. :eek:

And I personally, just as a concerned uncle, would want to know the real truth about where my tax dollars are going and what quality of teachers (or internal politics) its paying for is when its related to my family and their education. :)

Purely my opinion based on speculation on this one. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back