Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frustrated (sort of) beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustration

Hi all, I'm about ready to put my fist through my monitor, so I hope someone can help me and save me the cost of replacing it:D

First off, about 2 years ago, I did have this all working and was able to write programs in assembly (simple programs), compile them with mplab, then install them on a 16F628A PIC, stick it into a circuit, and have it work. Do to other things going on in my life; I haven’t touched a PIC since then.

Now that I have the time, I want to take up playing these fun little devices again.

So, I downloaded the latest version of MPLAB, v7.50 and installed it.
I have not been able to compile a single program since the install and I'm about to lose it.
I can't even use the project wizard and templates to compile a program that does nothing at all.

If I import into the project f628Atempo.asm or f628Atmpo.asm and 16f628A.lkr, when I try to build the project I get the following error:

Make: The target "c:\picprojects\test\f628Atempo.o" is out of date.
Executing: "C:\amplab\MPASM Suite\MPAsmWin.exe" /q /p16F628A "f628Atempo.asm" /l"f628Atempo.lst" /e"f628Atempo.err" /o"f628Atempo.o"
Make: The target "c:\picprojects\test\test.cof" is out of date.
Executing: "C:\amplab\MPASM Suite\MPLink.exe" "C:\picprojects\test\16f628.lkr" "C:\picprojects\test\f628Atempo.o" /o"test.cof" /M"test.map"
MPLINK 4.06, Linker
Copyright (c) 2006 Microchip Technology Inc.
Error - section 'INT_VECTOR' can not fit the absolute section. Section 'INT_VECTOR' start=0x00000004, length=0x00000012
Errors : 1

BUILD FAILED: Sun Apr 29 15:54:02 2007

After getting this, I also tried doing the quick start tutorial using the chip they specified and that one does not compile for me either. I tried dozens of code examples and tutorials over the last 2 days, just trying to get something, anything to actually work, and I have not had any luck.

Can anyone here help me with this? If not, is there someone that can stop by and hit me in the head with a shovel until I lose interest in these again, the frustration is really killing me.

Are your programs written as "relocatable" code? If not, simply remove the linker script from your project.

Thanks Mike, that seems to be helping, I'm able to compile a simple program now with out getting errors.

Now I'm more interested in why the MPLAB tutorial and a bunch of others I've tried, are not working. Seems to me that if you start off with a template and linker file with nothing extra, it should compile and run.

UPDATE:

Even though it seems to be compileing and it says "BUILD SUCCEEDED", I'm not getting a *.hex file.

I've done a search on the whole computer and it shows over 100 hex files, but non that match my project.

Any ideas?

If someone gets a chance, could you you post a very simple blink program for a 16F628A PIC that uses the internal clock that I can try and compile?

Thanks OY2L, I'm very familiar with Nigels work and used it to learn the basics 2 years ago. I can't get his examples to compile to a hex file either:confused: .

frustration said:
Thanks OY2L, I'm very familiar with Nigels work and used it to learn the basics 2 years ago. I can't get his examples to compile to a hex file either:confused: .

Personally I've always just used MPASMWIN to assemble my programmes, MPLAB always seems far too complicated and confusing - I presume MPASMWIN is the actual assembler than MPLAB calls?, it's installed along with MPLAB, but doesn't automatically place an icon on your desktop.

hi,
Locate MPASMWIN on you PC, run it and look at the 'check' boxes on the
displayed dialog window, make sure the produce 'hex' code box is checked.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back