Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Frosting" on top of Ni-Cd batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubavac111

Just wondering what this "frosting" on the Ni-Cd battery could be? How is it created? Is it dangerous? Should it be removed?

Check the pic below.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 139
NiCad? where are these batteries.. They look like lead acid batteries to me.. the "frosting" is acid spillage once it has been charged...

NOTE!! Appologies… After a bit of googling they are Ni cad... Never seen top-upable ones before... Still warm water removes this corrosion.. Still looks a tad overcharged though..

Looks like a mobile plant battery.
I maintain mobile plant but I've never seen a ni cad one.

Yup, Ni-Cd batteries and they are used in UPS for a telephone exchange. I am pretty sure no acid reached the cap. Do you mean some vaporized acid (if that is even possible)?

Reading further... They shouldn't do that... The top is a flame suppressor... They are called "pocket plate ni-cd batteries" But nothing should get out as they have anti overcharge capability.... I hope someone in your company didn't think they were lead acid and topped them up....

Reading further... They shouldn't do that... The top is a flame suppressor... They are called "pocket plate ni-cd batteries" But nothing should get out as they have anti overcharge capability.... I hope someone in your company didn't think they were lead acid and topped them up....

Nope, they are all filled just below the MAX level. Is it possible that charging current is too high and that is the reason why this is happening?

If you read the data sheet there's one here

Overcharging is not possible.. these thing are supposed to be nigh on impossible to break ( fool proof ) if the electrolyte has escaped a bit there must be a reason... Clean them with warm water and see if it re-occurs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back