Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fried LM324 quad op amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allaccess

Please ignore/delete this thread. Problem fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Is it possible for an LM324 to be damaged in such a way as all 4 op-amps still amplify but such a basic circuit fails?

Hello, I am trying to use an LM324 quad op-amp to build a basic function generator but i suspect the chip may be damaged.
When i perform a simple can-it-amplify test, all four op-amps pass: I attach a crystal earpiece to the +input, and an 8ohm speaker and a green LED to the output, and simply tap on crystal earpiece, and i get an audible click from the speaker and a flash from the LED when I perform this test on all 4 op-amps.

However, i have tried multiple google-search function generator circuits and none of them work. I get no square wave, and no reading on my digital scope, including this circuit:
Function-generator-circuit.png

Is it possible for an LM324 to be damaged in such a way as all 4 op-amps still amplify but such a basic circuit fails? I have tried constructing just the 1st stage and still get no square wave or output of any kind on pin 1.
Thanks, allaccess

Last edited:
The LM324 cannot drive an 8Ω speaker.
The first stage shown has a lot of positive feedback which will cause the output to latch at/near one of the supply rails until the input receives a very large signal (which a crystal earpiece is unlikely to provide).

Glad that you were able to solve the problem.

It would still be nice to know how you solved the problem, such that other members can learn from your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back