Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
If you're building it on breadboard then the stray capacitances are greater then the values required for the capacitors - so it may well work without them (simply because breadboards are rubbish!). But that doesn't mean you can leave them out in proper construction!, your breadboard layout includes them as part of the breadboard itself.

But they are an essential part of the oscillator circuit, without capacitance (either installed or stray) it won't work! - and you shouldn't recommend people to follow such faulty advice!.

breadboads and pcb's no capacitors, always fine, always works!
and I still recommend it to everybody to take them out if their oscillator isn't going

and THAT'S all i gotta say about that

Sorry Tom

The fact that you had them working always, your words, doesn't validate your advice.

I ALWAYS worked in breadboard up to 20 MHz with reasonable results and NEVER a (PIC) oscilator worked without the caps.

Such advice is misleading. In my opinion you are not doing any favor to readers. Go and do it in a PCB and sure they will not work at all.

Your special case (which I doubt is as you describe) doesn't make for a rule.

Tom2000:
I don't think you should advice us to leave out those cappacitors! I can tell from my experiences, when I accidentaly leaved them out (for 78xx, 12F675 VDD to VDD cap, or oscilators cap...), it never worked as should (on breadboard or PCB).

Re: Sorry Tom

atferrari said:
Such advice is misleading. In my opinion you are not doing any favor to readers.

You're right, eventhough i wasn't making advices, i was making suggestions.

anyways, you guys can do whatever the hell you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back