Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Generator Project... Help.. Noob :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunyips

32773802104.html

Hi people.. Joined this site to try to find a cheap way of making a very small square wave frequency generator to be run from a 9 v battery or 9-12 v wall plug. The above link is the part I am proposing to use. What I need to know is will this little device give a reliable 15 hz wave? Do I need to purchase another device to tune it? Programme on laptop..maybe! Is it truly variable? I would need to buy a 9 v lead from battery and also how do i get a lead out with alligator clips on it to transmit the frequency through a quartz crystal. Powered Orgonite project. Any help with this project will be greatly appreciated. I plan on doing a bulk order to save cash and then sell on to others experimenting in this area so we do not have to buy expensive complete items. I would then plan on getting some clear Heat Shrink to place around the device if recommended! Photo of desired outcome is attached
Thank You,
Todd

Attachments

• nano-cord.jpg
    nano-cord.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Free-Shipping-Ne555-adjustable-frequency-pulse-generator-module.jpg_220x220.jpg
    Free-Shipping-Ne555-adjustable-frequency-pulse-generator-module.jpg_220x220.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Your link takes me to a login page for Aliexpress.

Thanks for the heads up Bob ... I believe I have fixed the problem. Plus added a simple photo of the offending piece :)

Is the attached photo the module in question? If so, it is simply a 555 timer with a cap and trimmer pot.

71YfRKyCD%2BL._AC_UL115_.jpg

You'll need a scope or at the very least a frequency counter to adjust the trimmer pot to the correct frequency. As far as being a "reliable" 15Hz square generator, "reliable" is a relative term. What are the required specifications? Or at the very least what is the specific application of the device?

I have attached the datasheet for NE555 chip utilized by the module in question, Section 7.5 Operating Characteristics starting on page 6 should give you an idea of effects of temperature and time on the device.

BigDog

Attachments

• ne555.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Hi bigdog ... I would like a small device to pulse a 15hz (or other frequencies) through a copper cable to a copper ring around a 150g quarts crystal. Its hippy stuff but the frequency is important and will run from a 9 v battery or wall plug.

Hi bigdog ... I would like a small device to pulse a 15hz (or other frequencies) through a copper cable to a copper ring around a 150g quarts crystal. Its hippy stuff but the frequency is important and will run from a 9 v battery or wall plug.
Then I would say a 555 timer is more that adequate for the task. If cost is important - a 555 timer, capacitor and resistor/trimmer pot can be purchased for less than 50 cents USD.

How many units do you need? Tayda Electronics offers the 555 timer for as little as 12 cents USD for quantity one.

BigDog

Thats great mate. The unit in the photo is around 45c US ... the link goes to the exact specs... Now I just need to know how to connect power and output. Thanks again

Last edited:
Well thats a whole lot of reading I have to do .. I have ordered the dodgy component I first put up and will continue reading about frequency which is what I am very interested in. So I guess I should buy myself a good solder kit and a frequency counter kit. Glad I dropped in. I will have many more questions. What is the basics I should purchase to start making a project like this work. I am not a pauper but I like doing things with quality and my own time instead of paying for someone else. So far you guys have been a great help .. Cheers :)

I would like a small device to pulse a 15hz (or other frequencies) through a copper cable to a copper ring around a 150g quarts crystal
The copper ring will have a very low resistance and will effectively short-circuit the oscillator output.:(
A low resistance will draw a lot of current and flatten the battery in next to no time.:(
What are you expecting the quartz crystal to do in response to the 15Hz ?

Appreciate the input Alec... If you have a look at the device in the first post... i.e.... desired product. It is a simple 15hz square wave zapper... What I am connecting it too and how it is going to work is not important. The device itself is what I need to learn how to build.. The cool thing is I will be learning a lot about the things I am actually producing with Orgone devices. It does work as the things it will be connected to are not what they seem.

Haha.... I thought I fixed the link... It works for me... but here is a much better photo of the device I am trying to replicate without paying $25 US plus postage. It is a standard 15 hz... 9v battery in and alligator clip/s out. I hope that gives you all a better idea of what I want. If it is a little bigger and variable... great. But 15 hz would be a great start for me /us... Cheers

Attachments

• Blue-CU-600x600.jpg
    Blue-CU-600x600.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 127
The device itself is what I need to learn how to build.
Do you have good soldering skills? Surface-mount components, as shown in that product, are tiny. Adding a frequency control would add some bulk.

People selling cheap Chinese junk on Aliexpress know nothing about electronics so they do not say what frequencies the 555 module will produce.
The 555 module will not drive a copper ring.

Do you have good soldering skills? Surface-mount components, as shown in that product, are tiny. Adding a frequency control would add some bulk.
Haha... Alec I very much so doubt I have good soldering skills... I have never done it... I am here to learn though. So bulky it will be. Still nothing a Heat Shrink won't clean up ...lol .. I think the frequency control and the purchase of a frequency counter will be the go. Thanks

Since we are talking about orgone here it may be more appropriate to use a starship coil rather than a simple copper loop. It would at least make a more efficient load for the 555's output transistor, although you'd still need a series resistance so it doesn't drag the output down completely. Also I have read they produce a relatively focussed magnetic field, which may be advantageous for your purpose.

Oh, since you ask, the leads with aligator clips go to output and gnd. You can buy leads with the clips pre-attached, probably cheaper than buying just the clips and making the leads! One of the leads has to share the gnd pin with battery (-). Vcc is battery (+)
If building your own, you may be better using through hole components and a bit of perforated board. MUCH easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back