Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency doubler tripler quadrupler...

Status
Not open for further replies.

the cracken

I need some ideas on how i would go about making a circuit that when a variable sine wave is inputted then 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 7x the frequency will be outputted.

eg if a a 100hz is put into the circuit the you would get 200hz, 300hz, 400hz, 500hz, 600hz, 700hz.

and if a frequency of 300hz is inputted the you would get 600hz, 1200hz, 1800hz.....

I have thought about it and i have no idea how i would go about it!

i dont think i can use a tuned circuit as this will only give me one harmonic and not change with the inputted sine wave? (i think tell me if im wrong)

thanks for any ideas The Cracken

What sort of waveform is the input. Sine? Square
What sort of waveform at each harmonic?

Convert the sinewave to a sawtooth wave and you'll have all the even and odd harmonics a nerd could want. ;)
If you want just one harmonic at a time, a PLL may work for you.

Last edited:
Have you looked at PLL?

I want to amplify all harmonics all the time but I would also like to be able to adjust the amplitude of each harmonic.
But i want to completely discard the 1st or root harmonic.
iv looked up PLL's and i think i would need 6 of them to achieve what i want. (tell me if im wrong!)

thanks for the help and the quick reply's

The reason i am trying to do this is because i want to experiment with my guitar!
I want to be able to change the harmonics of any given signal from the guitar. This would have a dramatic affect on the sound the guitar would make!

A complete solution would requie a complex answer -actually a design. But here a few tidbits:

The multiple PLL idea is a good one if you can use square wave outputs. Its usually a simple matter to change the amplitude of a square wave.

Realize that you could design your counter chain in a single PLL to output all the harmonics you need.

If you need sine waves, you could use a PLL to drive a sine wave generator -such as the Analog Devices Direct Digital Synthesizer, which can output sine, square, and sawtooth waveforms. Or make your own look-up table driven sine generator.

If you only need even harmonics, pass the incoming sine wave into a four quadrant analog multiplier. The result will be the frequency doubled. You can do that again and again to obtain higher order harmonics with amplitudes that track the oringinal until you can't stand the distortion any longer.

Just some ideas.

A complete solution would requie a complex answer -actually a design. But here a few tidbits:

The multiple PLL idea is a good one if you can use square wave outputs. Its usually a simple matter to change the amplitude of a square wave.

Realize that you could design your counter chain in a single PLL to output all the harmonics you need.

If you need sine waves, you could use a PLL to drive a sine wave generator -such as the Analog Devices Direct Digital Synthesizer, which can output sine, square, and sawtooth waveforms. Or make your own look-up table driven sine generator.

If you only need even harmonics, pass the incoming sine wave into a four quadrant analog multiplier. The result will be the frequency doubled. You can do that again and again to obtain higher order harmonics with amplitudes that track the oringinal until you can't stand the distortion any longer.

Just some ideas.

well for know i think ill go with the easier option and use the four quadrant analog multiplier with even harmonics!!!
i have no idea what im looking at :mad:

O and will the output from the four quadrant analog multiplier be in phase with the inputted signal as i want to lay it back over it??

how would i need to hook this up to give me a harmonic?
**broken link removed**

thank The Cracken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back