Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free samples from microchip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the 16F84 has been obsoleted and replaced with 16F84A so A is good to go but that's also old by today's standards, and you might want to look into 16F877 for example.

The 04 and 20 refer to clock frequencies, 4MHz and 20MHz..

and the /P is the package

P = normal PDIP
SO = Small outpline SMD
PT = Quad flat pack SMD

Ok so i got 3 16f84's and im going to get a few 877's can anyone explain the differences and are there any easy to program ones like the f84 for me to learn with.

i guess the question here is if you had the choice to pick 5 differnt PIC which would they be.

i would pic(k) :lol: :

-16F628 : Same as the F84 but with 2times the program memory, more ram, more eeprom , a usart, pwm, comparators,...

-16F877 : Simply the most fully packed cpu in the 16 series

-12F675 : 8pin µC; for those small projects that dont need a big pic

and then perhaps you could add a few of the 18series...

good choices.

my first sample order, a couple weeks ago, was some 16f628's, because I was using them at the time anyway, and also some 12f675 and 12f629, so I'd have some nice, small PICs to use for simple stuff where I'd rather not wire up a bunch of passives and integrated circuits for something...

this time around, I went with an '877, an '876, an '819 (similar to the 16f628 but has A/D, which I may need for some things) and a couple of I2C EEPROMs (24LC16B 16k, and a 24LC256 256k) for later experiments where I need more storage space than the dinky data EEPROM provides.

I love microchip :) free samples rule.

one thing that my boss this summer at a semiconductor manufacturing plant told me, is that while it may seem sort of greedy for students to get a bunch of free PICs, the company is willing to give them to us, as many of us will likely grow up to be engineers, and when that time comes, we're a lot more likely to use their products after getting a ton of experience with them.

I just made my order.
Is there a certain time limit you have to wait to order more. I probably wont need anymore for awhile, but just incase i got the wrong one.
~Mike

the A version definately! They're a revision of the old version. some bugs solved, etc...

also, all 877A's can run up to 20Mhz, so there is no more speed suffix

3dluvr said:
the 16F84 has been obsoleted and replaced with 16F84A so A is good to go but that's also old by today's standards, and you might want to look into 16F877 for example.

The 04 and 20 refer to clock frequencies, 4MHz and 20MHz..

hi! I'm also a newbee here. so if I use PIC16f84a-04P, is this mean that I should clock the PIC with a 4 MHz clock?

I have orderd some samples for the fist time now, include some eprom and stuff like that,

You need a extern cristal to get it work if I am not wrong but is it expensif to get some cristals and stuff like that and where is the best place to get them,

I normal made the software for the pic and some order made me a hardware part and stuff like that so don`t look to that part on that I run at 20MHz. :p

Now I like to try some things at home and stuff like that so need some more info about the hardware, (like how to make a program board on low cost)

Thanks,

For Mr. axo

for the pic16f628 also i have one point to add that the chip contains the oscillator and the number of the input\output pins are more
thx for all of you

Hey,

I have orderd me some free chips and eeprom and stuff like that. They have send me a mail that it is chipped the first this mounth but when do I get it? To Holland,

Thanks,

Camping said:
Hey,

I have orderd me some free chips and eeprom and stuff like that. They have send me a mail that it is chipped the first this mounth but when do I get it? To Holland,

Thanks,

It took about 2 weeks for them to deliver to Sweden.

Hey,

I have got the samples now it take almost 2 weeks,

I have get some SMD modules does any boddy know where I can get a smd footer so I don`t have to work hard to get it working,

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back