Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free netflix & others Tv over the air

Status
Not open for further replies.
No actually the program they were shown on to my knowledge said it was perfectly legal.
So do you know it is or is not?
Anyway like I said in #13 forgotten.
Then I would say check with your service provider.
The inventor claims that the people providing this service also have to transmit the signal over low power standard Dvb channels,
This is not the case in the US so your local laws or regulations would apply. I also have no clue what encryption schemes are used outside the US be it cable or OTA.

Ron

Then I would say check with your service provider.

This is not the case in the US so your local laws or regulations would apply. I also have no clue what encryption schemes are used outside the US be it cable or OTA.

Ron

There's no encryption on Freeview (hence the name), and as far as I know encryption wouldn't be allowed - it's also the most expensive way to broadcast there is in the UK, and has little or no spare capacity. Essentially we've got no actual info on this device, and what's been suggested makes no sense.

OK, now I get it, I read this. All you need is a smart TV. Since my wife and I have had Amazon Prime for years and our main TV is a dumb TV I bought an Amazon Firestick and was surprised at how much free stuff is out there. Some like Netflix cost but other stuff is free.

Ron

dragons den

First, for US readers, Dragons Den is like the US show, Shark Tank.

Second, some research shows the product was likely "TV Fix" which is just an antenna.
Apparently, there is a UK law that requires the cable companies to rebroadcast all free channels that the cable company does not have to pay for on a low frequency or low power (or low power and low frequency) band for free. These channels are usually self sustaining and survive on ad revenue and the rebroadcast is vital to getting an audience that justifies the ad revenue. However, these channels also generally broadcast on digital broadcasts as well.

It is not completely clear whether TV Fix is using the towers or the low power broadcast of the cable company. It is also powered so it has an onboard amplifier (or so I'd expect).

Also, there are many, many new broadcast channels available in the US with the rise of digital transmissions (and the end of analog TV signals). In western Pennsylvania, we used to have six broadcast channels and now, each of them is broadcasting about a dozen including new stickers, vintage TV shows, vintage movies, local access programming and other weird stuff for a total of about 30 channels. It's better than cable because it is only 30 channels of crap instead of 200 channels of crap,

You know this is theft of service, or in other words stealing, right?

He's the same guy wanting to build an antenna years ago here. One that would let him steal WIFI from a McDonald's restaurant down the street. So it doesn't bother him a bit. But he's also the guy making fake "cameras" to hang around his yard to keep people from stealing from him.

First, for US readers, Dragons Den is like the US show, Shark Tank.

Second, some research shows the product was likely "TV Fix" which is just an antenna.
Apparently, there is a UK law that requires the cable companies to rebroadcast all free channels that the cable company does not have to pay for on a low frequency or low power (or low power and low frequency) band for free. These channels are usually self sustaining and survive on ad revenue and the rebroadcast is vital to getting an audience that justifies the ad revenue. However, these channels also generally broadcast on digital broadcasts as well.

There's no such law in the UK, and never has been, as far as I'm aware it's a law in the USA?, which is where the adverts for those crappy aerials come from - or they are just completely making it up?.

There's no such law in the UK, and never has been, as far as I'm aware it's a law in the USA?, which is where the adverts for those crappy aerials come from - or they are just completely making it up?.

That info was from some forum and I agree it doesnt make much sense to require a broadcast if nobody has equipment to receive from the mystery frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back