Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free junebug to good home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that expects to learn embedded programming in a day or two is destined to stay ignorant. To think, I've worked on software projects where my personal input was close to a man year and you give up after two days. Looks to me like the disease of instant gratification has reared its ugly head.

Oh well, I guess it's the way this world is heading.

Mike.

Yes I did give up in a couple of days however, I was not looking for instant gratification, I saw a plethera of paths/program choices and too many voices in the crowd trying to help and only a few of them offering real advice on a "just starting" level. Way too much confusion. Maybe I was a little hasty in giving the Junebug away but without good directions its very difficult to learn anything. Blueroom, I'm sorry if I came across a little harsh in any of my posts, I might take you up on your offer some day. I got it on a whim and as they say easy come easy go. I'll play with the stamps and do more research on the PIC. But for now its on the back burner. I still have many projects that I want to do and have a few stamps in the parts drawers.

You guys are being kinda harsh, I'm really enjoying working with PICs but its not the only hobby in the world, and highly technical stuff isn't fun for everyone. I encourage anyone to try their best if they care about something, but if they don't enjoy something they try and give up it doesnt make them the reason for all the worlds woes.
I got this same kind of treatment when I mostly gave up on game programming, I had learned enough that I could make a game but when it came down to it the work to satisfaction ratio just wasnt making it worth while for me.

Last edited:
I think the hardest thing to remember for those who are "experts" or even very proficient, is that new to PIC or Programming or both people have totally different mind sets. I have never programmed a PIC in my life, I have no formal Program Language training (discounting 1 semester of Pascal when I was 16-17), but I still want to learn.

It sounds like Mike is in a similar situation, only with more experience with a vastly different (yet similar in some ways) product.

What I find hard generally is building a knowledge bridge from what I know, to where I want to get to. The "Hello World" examples are just fine, but then the next step is always HUGE. That is one thing I have liked in my reading of Nigel's tutorials....he builds in smaller steps. I only fear that steps 3-4 and 4-5 are going to be making bigger jumps than I can follow.

The possibilities with the PIC are nearly limitless, and sometimes that is just too much to handle...like looking at the stars and realizing just how insignificant your "Hello World" life really is...

I encourage Mike to not give up, and to those who are so kind as to take the time to Mentor, help explain, and post comments....try to stay at our level in the explanations...even if it feels very basic.

I'm a little sad he gave up on the Junebug, but I paid shipping for the Butterfly he did not need (those are not for beginners really) Micro controllers are great devices, but if Mike was getting a bad vibe he said he has other projects he wants to work on, long as he's doing something it's all good =) He bought he tried, wasn't his cup of tea, he decided to move on. Just hope the Junebug goes to a good home =) I know the Butterfly is in very happy hands, or will be.

I just wished he gave the kit a little more time. Having a Stamp or any programming background is a huge advantage vs starting from scratch. On the otherhand you may have to unlearn some habits too.

I'm forcing myself to set aside the time required to do JPUG 3. The cover will show a Junebug connected to a dsPIC30F4013 on a breadboard.

The whole deal is using a stamp first. You can use it with out leaning any basic and then your get in to a real Language Like swordfish you don't just write you have to set it up to. This code is for pbasic and the stamp
Code:
time VAR Word
counter VAR Word
DEBUG "START PULSES", CR,
"Repetitions Current Duration", CR,
" (microseconds) ", CR,
"----------- ----------------"
DO
PULSIN 9, 0, time
IF (time > 975) AND (time < 1425) THEN
counter = counter + 1
DEBUG CRSRXY, 0, 4,
DEC counter,
CRSRXY, 13, 4,
DEC5 time * 2
ENDIF
LOOP

I wish I had seen the Junebug before I bought a very basic programmer.....but I think my programmer will do what I need, and following Nigels Tutorials should give me a good starting point.

The hardest thing to understand is the sheer number of options, and how does one pick the correct combination.

Language (Basic, C, Pascal?, Assembly)---Each seems to have their proponents, but for someone who is new to PIC it is a crap shoot....I have opted for understanding Assembly, then learning C as needed/possible

Compilers --again for the non-Computer Engineer, knowing what you need one is as hard as knowing which you need.

Programmers (USB, Parallel, Serial) --Knowing which to pick is nearly impossible, unless you opt for the Vendors high priced units. Probably the best idea, but I tend to work on a tight budget, so I opted for a basic Serial unit. As far as I know it will work.

PIC Chip to start with --everything I was reading at first was 16F84 or 16F84A...then I read 16F628....and then 16F88....16F877....and on and on....unless you understand what you need, which the beginner won't, you won't understand which to choose.

Of course I still struggle with the basics. Electronics to me is 100% hobby...no formal training, no background besides Automotive Electrical. "Pulling a pin high" means nothing to the novice. Saying "apply 5v to pin3" means something. Setting the pin within the code to high (5v) is such a novel concept I have a hard time grasping....but once the Assembly command to do so was explained (like TRIS = Tri-State, low-high-unknown?) makes more sense.

I realize that the norm is NOT for the complete novice to have a desire to understand, but to have no background. It would be cool to find a very kindergarten level explanation similar to what Pommie posted in the other thread starting from beginning (this is a microchip) to at least the "Hello World" blinking LED....with step by step explanation along the way. secondly a chart showing possible commands, but formatted for the beginner (not the data sheet method) would be great reading.

Maybe this isn't what Mike needed, but I know it is what I look for. I am not giving up, and will continue to read and learn and discover by trial and error.

Home Found for Junebug

Thanks for all of your replies and concerns. I have found a good home for the Junebug.

Have just completed a 2 story home

for the little bugger. complete with air conditioning, water, heat, a 5.1 dolby stereo an LCD 2" tv .
all the amenties that Juneybug would want ---lol.
My plan is to give it to the scout that is going to ISU come fall semester and study electronics.

I still prefer AVR's. But I have a lot of respect for blueroom and the Junebug's. Solid little modules.

You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back