Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomguy42

Hi there, I'm just doing some preliminary research to see if it's possible to read and rewrite old FPGA chips?

I'm working with Pcb's from the 1990's that have lost programs. I have a 25pin serial port on the boards.

I'm relatively new to electronics, I've programmed Eproms/Pal's successfully so im looking to learn how to do these next... if anyone can set me off in the right direction?

Thanks

i doubt you will be able to read the fpga from a commercial product since they tend to be encrypted

As dknguyen said, if they're encrypted, you won't be able to read them.

However, you said that they've lost their program. I assume that you mean that their internal code has gotten corrupted. And that's possible after ~25 years. If so then reading them, even if not encrypted, would be worthless.

Can you get the original program for the part? If yes, then you just to follow the process for erasing and re-programming the part. What those processes are will depend on the FPGA that you have, and what programming support there is on the PCB.

data sheet
These are large memories for being in a 8 pin package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back