Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For all you light bar folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
This is for the few light bar posts that I've seen that aren't on the up and up. Not all of you mind you, but a good warning none the less.

**broken link removed**

Seems to be hot thing here in Florida. We just had a guy in a Dodge Charger doing that in our area. Even pulled a gun to scare some folks, then drove off. They caught him though.

Police here have nice unmarked sports cars.

I remember doing some stupid stuff when I was a kid, and I know a few people that have done stuff even worse. But stuff like that... It's just absurd. I mean by what thought process do you come up with this being okay?

I remember back when the blue LED keychain flash lights came out. One night in the car, my kids would flip it on and off and the car would light up. I told them to stop but I did noticed the cars in front of me slowed down to the speed limit. :D I bought more of the LED lights, but this time all white.

This guy down here actually had a badge and a gun. Not that is wacked out.

I never understood why they made blue keychain lights, they're absolutly horrible for vision, especially at night. Everytime I get them I rip the blue one's out and put white one's in because the voltage drop is almost identical.

I think blue might have been a cool factor or something. All the ones I have are the 3.6vdc CR type button batteries.

Just do not ride on the interstate after dark with it against the dash and turn it on and off. I kid you not people will slow down.

Funny, I have a white LED version in my sock drawer (to match socks to belt in the AM). I attempt to use it when I get dressed and not wake up the wife by flipping the lights on. They are not perfect either trust me.

I really do not care what color socks and belt I have on. Maybe I should wake her up as she is the one that seem to get on me about things like that. This might get us moved to ****-chat. I know we are gonna hear all about the "you are gonna where that shirt with those pants when you *.*". :D I was called in once to change when I was mowing the lawn.

I never understood why they made blue keychain lights, they're absolutly horrible for vision, especially at night.

I have a friend who is a helicopter pilot for the US Army. On a Boy Scout campout, I asked why he had a blue lens on his flashlight instead of red (which does not mess up your night vision [and I agree that blue makes thing 'fuzzy' to me whereas red does not]) and he told me that the blue light is compatible with night vision goggles.
Dale

My last car was a white mercury grand marquis. It looked just like the standard unmarked patrol cars around my area.
I have had kids pass me on the interstate a few times going way over the posted speed limit.
I would let them get about a block ahead of me then shoot up on them. Everyone would slow down and pull over, Once I caught up to them I would slow down and just drive by. :D

Last edited:
I bookmarked this page to read another time, seems to cover it pretty well.
**broken link removed**
Ya learn something new every day =)

That is very interesting indeed.
The part about having some infared sensitivity is rather interesting. My family took vacations all of my life and we have been in caves many times. Every cave tour they shut off all the lights to show people how dark it is. And as far back as I can remember when the lights were off I sware I could still see faint blurry shadows of everyone within several feet of me.
I was in a cave last summer and I still had that same experiance. I could make out were everyone within about ten feet of me was. It was not a clear view but I know I could pick out a path to walk between them. They look like cloudy or foggy blurs to me but still I know where they were.

Has anyone else found they have that same visual sense? I have heard of people that had cateract surgury claiming they can see rough shapes in total dark too.

Every cave tour they shut off all the lights to show people how dark it is.
A few years back my family and I toured a cave. When the lights were switched off, this oriental couple near us started farting outloud and apparently without any self-embarrassment nor concern for others. My daughter was disgusted and grossed out, standing next to them. There's not much one can do when 400 feet below ground surface, in total darkness, when one's ears and nose detects something VERY unpleasant and little recourse to take. As the tour continued I took opportunities to make fart noises using my hand up to my mouth. My wife kept scolding me to stop teasing that stinky couple. To me that was the best part of the cave tour!!! :D

I never understood why they made blue keychain lights, they're absolutly horrible for vision, especially at night. Everytime I get them I rip the blue one's out and put white one's in because the voltage drop is almost identical.

Hi Sceadwian,

blue light is a very good light source for the night (to go for a "P"). It doesn't require any adaptation time from dark to bright, which is important from my point of view not to get fully awake just for that little bit to release. Additionally that kind of light won't wake up your wife and disturb her sleep.

My flashlight has a blue and a high power white LED. I use the white LED only when there is the usual (almost) daily mains power failure.

Boncuk

Last edited:
tcm what you're experiencing is more than likely psychological not real. Even if human eyesite extends slightly into the near IR you'd never be able to see body heat, body heat is far infrared, no way you're seeing that. What you're experiencing is probably just the optical processing portion of your brain going into shock from the sudden loss of light. In that kind of situation the loss of light is so absolute there is no way to compare it if you haven't been in that kind of a situation, it's darker than even your eyelids closed at night. The brain is seeing 'shadows' of what it remembers seeing just before the lights went out. I've experienced this before, if you want to destroy the sensation in an instant all you have to do is right after they turn the lights out shake your head left to right up and down and maybe spin around a few times really fast and have the people move around so their locations are different. You won't notice a thing =) The brain in sensory deprivation situations reacts VERY strangely.

Last edited:
A few years back my family and I toured a cave. When the lights were switched off, this oriental couple near us started farting outloud and apparently without any self-embarrassment nor concern for others. My daughter was disgusted and grossed out, standing next to them. There's not much one can do when 400 feet below ground surface, in total darkness, when one's ears and nose detects something VERY unpleasant and little recourse to take. As the tour continued I took opportunities to make fart noises using my hand up to my mouth. My wife kept scolding me to stop teasing that stinky couple. To me that was the best part of the cave tour!!! :D

Hi HiTech,

that oriental couple must have been christianized Arabs.

Recall Martin Luther (established protestant church in Europe) please.

After a dinner he asked his friends: "Warum rülpset und furzet Ihr nicht? Hat es Euch nicht geschmacket?"

literally translated:

"Why don't you burp and fart? Did the meal not meet your expectations?" :D

(From the 15th century until the 18th century farting after a dinner at a friend's was a MUST) :)

Boncuk

(From the 15th century until the 18th century farting after a dinner at a friend's was a MUST)

You mean that went out in the 1800's? Man! Some of my friends and I are way behind the times! :D

Speaking from the manners I was raised with. Farts are a nono, belching is 'a compliment to the chef' =)

tcm what you're experiencing is more than likely psychological not real.

I have aproched that odd vision curiousity as scientificaly as I can. I am aware of the phyoplogical aspects of sudden sensory deprivation. However I have done many self tests to see if it was my imagination or not.

I have had this wierd visual oddity all my life. When I was young being in total dark scared the crap out of me! There were to many unexplainable things I could visualy percieve but only when my eyes were open.
I always had to have a small light in my room to make the static fuzz (ghosts) go away. I do not believe in ghosts.

I have done these tests many times too. I heat my house with a hot water boiler that is in a room attached to my shop.
I do this experiment late at night when there is no moon and its cloudy too.
Its as dark as it can get.
In pitch dark conditions in the winter is best and what I visualy precieve is a very fine static fuzz when my eyelides are closed. But when they are open it deminishes. On a hot summer night it is the reverse. When my eyes are open has more static fuzz than when they are closed.

However I precieve the warm objects not so much as light but as a heavier or more consentrated part of this random static. Straight on looking I do not actualy see anything, but its more at a slight angel away from my fontal focus and more towards my periferal that is where I percieve these contrasts the greatest.
I have to constantly be moving my eyes around randomly to actualy hone in on an object.
I have on many occasions had the boiler room doors open to the outside at very cold temperatures. When there is a good heat difference between the inside inviroment and the hot boiler I have shut off all lights in my place and still been able to make out the boilers primary shape, front door and stack. Even after much moving around. (the boiler is flat black in color an dirty too)

my non contact IR thermometer says the temps to be around 180 F on the boiler sides and around 325 F on the front door and stack.
The door and stack seem to have the greatest percieved static fuzz density also.

I have also taken my IR thermometer and pointed at what I thought was a warm object (after moving around) Then turned on a small flashlight and found I could point right at the item with good repeatable accuracy.

Plus When my shop has been cold for some time I have done that test in there as well. When the big air compressor has run for a while I can see the outline of where the compressor head is when it is hot from about 15 feet away.

I have done this experiment once when I parked my snow blower in the shop late one night too. I turned everyting off waited several minutes in the dark and walked from the front to the back of my shop,(walked right into the back wall :eek:) moved and looked around for any sign of percievable light and walked back.
I bumped into several objects that were at the ambiant temp but still the snow blower engine had a enough observable static fuzz for me to find it and reach out and touch the top of the engine first try, even after walking away and back over fourty feet and around a few large objects that I bumped into.

Yea I know its strange but I sware I can still see the difference in tempuratures if there is a enough contrast.
It does not work reliably every time, but still a large enough amount of times in my life I have felt I had repeatable proof enough to conferm it.

I dont think I am nuts but thats not really for me to deside! :D

I've had similar problems with being in the dark tcmtech. I understand exactly what you're talking about. What you're describing would require a WELL thought out set of test conditions to quantify it, NOT done by you, and you wouldn't even be allowed to know the purpose of any of the test conditions. The sensitivities involved are so low that the psychological impact of knowing that a test is even occuring is enough to blow the results through the noise floor and invalidate a real study.

Personally, it's something that helps me get to sleep at night, careful concentration can turn that random static into structured geometric patterns just by concentrating on it, at least for me. I 'play' with the patterns that I try to visualize and create from the random static. I usually fade off to sleep at that point. It could very well be a near IR sensitivity, but it's so subjective and sensitive it's not practically usable.

Last edited:
I understand that completely.
I know some is thought based but still I have read about a few scientific test studies done years ago that did conclude that some people may very well have limited IR sensing ability but it was not proven to be 100% accurate. It was only a small scale test I think, and not a large enough population group was used to make it fully valid.

But like you said I am not using highly controled tests.
I am Just going by lifetime experiances that seemed a little more perculiar than what rational belief would dictate.

It may be sort of like that litmus test paper that some people can always taste and some ocasionaly do and still others never do.

I have read that some primate species seem to show some possible IR senitivity as well. So maybe some of us "lesser evolved" humans could actualy have a little of it too? :D
Human senses are still being explored and odd things about them are facts but still very hard to pin down!

I do know my niece says she can hear the tone from my signal generator when I feed it to a small speaker all the way up to around 25 Khz!
(I get to about 18khz)
And being able to hear subsonic frequencies is a fact too. :)
My brother, my neice, and I all hear whats reffered to as Taous noise.
Its a sort of subsonic rumble, drone, ossilation, or thumping sound that cant be heard by everyone. ;)

Named after Taous New Mexico were it was scientificaly studied and found to not to be just peoples imaginations! :)

Therefore It seems plausable that light sensitivity could very well go outside of whats considerd the normal sensitivity range as well.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has noticed or are aware that they have this phenomenon with them. :)

Please link your studies. Near IR sensitivity is not that 'far out' I've heard of the Taous hum, not a lot of concrete data to back everything up, most of them are thrown out on basis of the way they collect their data (no double blind studies) poor data gathering etc..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back