Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flip flops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I m beginner in electronics and trying to study flip flops.i know that a f-f can store one bit of information.I have a problem in understanding how exactly the f-f remembers the state.when we say f-f stores one bit,actually what does it stores.
I tried diff. books but still i m unable to get the idea
can anyone help me on this.
Thanks in advance

Firstly, read **broken link removed**)

when we say f-f stores one bit,actually what does it stores.
The following list items are basically equivalent.
It stores a:
* boolean value (Yes / No)
* logic level or state (1 / 0 or High / Low or maybe 5Volts / 0volts)
etc.

The value it stores it present on the Q output of the flip flop

logic concepts

legend killer,

Concept of a bit is a duality called a compliment. As stated by dougy83 it consists of two opposite values. Up/down. wet/dry, day/night, on/off. These values can be given a Boolean value of one, (1), or zero, (0). If wet is (1) then dry is (0). If dry is (1) then wet is (0). All compliments work that way. A single bit has a base two value of "two to the zero power" which equals one, (1). The compliment of one (1) is zero, (0). Every bit has two applied opposite states. This is the basis of binary, base two, arithmetic.
The way bits are stored is that the output of a gate is raised, or lowered to a pre-designated voltage level to approximate the bit value.

Example; The “transistor, to transistor logic” family (TTL)

--------------------------- +5.0Vdc--------------------------------
LOGIC BIT VALUE ONE (1)
--------------------------- +2,4Vdc--------------------------------
Disallowed logic state
--------------------------- +0.8Vdc--------------------------------
LOGIC BIT VALUE ZERO (0)
--------------------------- +0.0Vdc--------------------------------

To truly understand the concept of flip-flops you need to first understand gate logic. AND, OR, NOT. Flip-flops are made from simple gate logic functions There are natural gates, and made-up gates, Flip-flops fall into the second category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back