Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flashing LED with Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

William_xavier

I have a non-toggle switch (like a lighter, you need to press and hold for a continuous flow of flame) that connects to a strip of LED (no flashing), run by 12V battery.

Now, I want to modify it that if I press and hold ON onto the switch for more than 7 seconds, it will start flashing at 1Hz. The flashing will only stop if I let go of the switch, but shall immediately “reset” into normal again. (will not flash unless until 7 seconds again)

Now a tricky one;
Another set (I have a non-toggle switch (like a lighter, you need to press and hold for a continuous flow of flame) that connects to a strip of LED (no flashing), run by 12V battery.)

Now, I want this set to flash at 4Hz for 4 seconds once “Poke” ON onto the switch. I realise this is quite difficult as it also means there must be some “reserve” energy for this to happen. I just have to “Poke” or “Tab” the switch and it will flash for 4 seconds.

I have no knowledge on electronics, but would like to create something for my house. So please don't ask me study electronics as I only want to make this one project only.

Paying someone to do it will cost me 300 - 600 bucks. Personally, I think it's not worth it as I think it's quite a simple circuit thing only. It doesn't require programming either, right? I don't know...

I would appreciate it if you could guide me step by step.

Thanks in advance!

I'll give you my opinion. All things considered this can be built using discreet components. However, what you really want is someone who can do some simple programming of a small cheap micro-controller chip. These are also commonly called a PIC Chip having a cost of literally several US dollars. Using discreet components will involve a clock signal followed by a bunch of timing functions. This leads to more and more components. Without knowing all the LED details (like current required) and just winging it I would go the micro controller route. I don't see anyone charging anywhere near the cost you mentioned. You may want to start another thread in the forums micro controller sections and see if someone wants to put a small board together for you and program a few PIC Chips to give you what you want. That would be my suggestion anyway, maybe some other members have some thoughts?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back