Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flashing Dog Collars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTiffy

I have purchased loads of flashing dog collars over the Winter and they all disintegrate. Can I build something lightwiight yet tough that will illuminate my Jack Russels at night.

TheTiffy said:
I have purchased loads of flashing dog collars over the Winter and they all disintegrate.
If it is the just the collar which is failing, use the electronics from the failed collar and build it into a good quality collar.

TheTiffy said:
Can I build something lightwiight yet tough that will illuminate my Jack Russels at night.
If it is the electronics which fail, yes there must be lots of things, but how much do you know about electronics?

Is there scope for some genetic engineering here, luminous dogs?:D

JimB

On edit: Tiffy, as in Instrument Technician?

Jack Russels jump. The G-force is too high for the electronics.
Add a de-bounce circuit to your dogs.

How about a picture or link to what you are looking to build. I have a black lab puppy, and have had some thoughts of adding some LEDs, but haven't settled on anything yet. Was kind of thinking of something I'll snap or clip-on to the collar when we go out at night (1 AM, 5 days a week before work!). Maybe a pendant the clips on next to the leash. Figuring on rechargeable batteries, and a solar charging station to keep weight and bulk down. Biggest problem is waterproofing, and a simple method of switch on/off and charging.

Hi there

Attached is a simple way to add flashing leds to your dog collar.

If the 9v battery is to heavy/bulky then a button cell can replace this although battery life will come into effect. A switch can be attached so it can be turned on/off manually.

Make sure that all wires are insulated and joins are heat shrinked to avoid damage.

If there are any problems please post them down and i will get back to you

Hope this helped
Spitso

Attachments

• t-flash2.gif
    t-flash2.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 180
One button cell won't power that circuit.

You'll need at least two, but it won't last for very long, but I'd use at least three, maybe four.

Hero999 said:
One button cell won't power that circuit.

You'll need at least two, but it won't last for very long, but I'd use at least three, maybe four.

Use 2x of those 3V cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back