Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fixing a Sony Playstation 3 PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKalair91

Hello,
I have a PS3 which has broke. It turns on beeps three times then the red light flashes. Ive taken it apart and had a look inside but cant see anything obviously wrong. But I dont think power is getting to the processor as it doesn't get hot at all I can put my finger on the heatsink turn it on and no heat at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Metal_Mania666
post Feb 22 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #2

X-S Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 315133

I have seen a large number of these consoles which seemingly have a fatal error within a few seconds of powering up, so far no solution seems to work. Reheating the chips certainly does not have much of an effect on the problem although I have managed to get one to work for a minute or so by doing this. It seems it must be a serious hardware error to not be able to display an on screen error message though.
Sony seem to be denying the existance of this problem, though it certainly isn't that rare!

The PS3 powersupply gets VERY hot. I have several of these 3 beeps and have tried multiple fixs. Nothing works. New HD, new PS, reflowing (I don't have the correct sized nozzles,so had to make do), nothing seems correct this issue.

Last edited:
Seems like is an HDD problem... but I warn you, the PS3 forums I've googled are a soup of technicians, engineers, average joe's and idiots. Conclusion, again: change hard drive. If still covered by warranty, change the whole console

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys its still not covered by warranty unfortunately.

Ive tried taking the hard drive out and it still doesn't work :(

I did find an interesting thread on the problems here though

**broken link removed**

I had the same problem

I "Just" reset the unit (unplugging) holding the power button down until i beeps (10 sec at least)

My problem started by me using wrong screen res. ;) it might help.... but then agian it might not

Not really user serviceable.

They are user serviceable. Most of the time it is simple problems like....they need a good cleaning inside, bad laser, bad power supply, hard drive. I have a friend that works on 360's , Wii, PSP and Ps3 and has made good money repairing the units as a side job. Personally I dont know what could be wrong could be several factors. I will talk to him and see if he has ran into the same problem, he has told me though he very rarely has to service ps3's but the xbox 360's he constantly gets repair jobs for them.

Thank You, any advice would be good.

Thanks for the suggestion Kryten but I'm afraid mines past even being able to do that :)

Thank You, any advice would be good.

Thanks for the suggestion Kryten but I'm afraid mines past even being able to do that :)

I think Menticol is right HDD. I did find something about handshaking and HD three blinks of the light no video.

Unplugg the HD cord and wait 4 seconds and plug back in.

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back