Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fixing a female TRS connector on phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael09

Hi everyone This is my Dubao N868 PDA knockoff clone or whatever.

I broke the 2.5mm female TRS connector and now plan to solder on a 3.5mm female TRS instead so I don't have to use an adaptor for my headphones anymore. Heres what I want the finished product to look like.sort of...

**broken link removed**

Heres the female TRS I bought
**broken link removed**

and heres whats confusing me.
**broken link removed**

I've searched google quite a bit but can't work this out! Any help much appreciated. thanks in advance!

Try connecting the wires like in this diagram:

**broken link removed**

Heres another diagram you could test:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I know how to read basic schematics but this is making my head hurt. Is there somewhere where I can learn to read this type of diagram?

Well, look at the diagram. See where the pins are numbered 1-5? This would be the side touching the PCB. So (your) 5 would be pin 1, (your) 2 would be pin 2, etc. Then, using the diagram underneath "Stereo Schematic" match up the pins to the adapter you have. If it works, youre done! If it doesnt, the layout isnt correct (I just picked any SMD jack I could find), and you will need to find another diagram, or try to follow traces

ok Ive figured out which pins are which I think **broken link removed**

but why would the 6th pin not be connected to anything?
and now I'm lost with this and how it connects to the TRS **broken link removed**

Its possible that the connector you have has a different pinout or more/less pins. There are many reasons that the pins may not line up - Im not saying the diagram is exact or even right, its just a starting place.

So you would connect the shield (the biggest part of the plug) to pin 1, the ring to pin 2, and the tip to pin 5.

**broken link removed**

1 - shield
2 - ring
3 - tip

Ah ok so that diagram may not match. I Thought there would of been some kind of universal configuration. I'll give this diagram ago and then hunt around for some others. Thanks!

I don't think that diagram quite matches up. with a multimeter set to continuity could I manually find out which pins = what channel?

**broken link removed**

pin 3 seems to have to continuity to other pins while all other pins are interconnected.
I've managed to get my headphones working in mono sound by attaching pin 3 (the one I suspect is earth) to the sheild of the TRS and by connecting any other pin to the ring AND tip.
**broken link removed**

Am I making any sense or just gibberish?

Where is the shield connected to? If you dont have it connected, remove either the ring or tip wire, and try connecting the shield wire to every pin until you get mono from one side. Then, reconnect the other wire and move it around until you get stereo sound. Havent tested it but it seems like that would work.

ok I'm finished **broken link removed**
It looks almost exactly as I planned BUT the loud speaker and small speaker now don't work. There connected up perfectly right. I think it all ties in with the jack and those extra pins. I decided to just go MONO. theres not enough room for the extra wires I'de need to go stereo and still close the phones casing.

without the speakers it doesnt function as a phone BUT its still damn good to play movies on, surf the net, emulate gameboy etc. just need to use headphones . THANKS parkinglotlust!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back