Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fixed Point Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

On the 4th page of the attached document i am trying to understand how they arrived at the conversions. Eg. ow they got +9.2 base 16(fixed point) as 49 base 16 (2's complement) without knowing the binary representation.

Attachments

• unit11.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 471
Interpretation

Hi Again,

On page 5 under the heading Interpretation. I don't understand how they arrived at the "Signed binary number:", "Floating point number (IEEE)" and "Visual C representaion". I understand the most significant bit is the sign bit so if is a 1 is a negative number but still don't understand how they arriving at those numbers. Any explanations please.

9.2 base 16 means 9 + 2/16

They are using a representation that has 3 binary digits after the decimal point, so that means that the number is multiplied by 2^3 = 8 to get it to the correct representation.

9.2 base 16 * 8 = 9 * 8 + 2/16 * 8 = 72 + 1 = 73

73 is 49 base 16

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back