Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fisher-Paykel motor controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

inanaz

Well, I had a real shocker. Our 4 year old washing machine, made in NZ (or is it Australia?), bit the dust with a nasty burnt electronics smell. service guy comes, figures out its the motor controller. cost? 380 $US!!! hooo-leee-sh*t. I coughed up the cash as it was cheaper than buying a new one but I'm royally p----d. machine seems good as new with the replacement.

So, I kept the dead one and opened it up expecting to find something burned but nope. it looks clean. I know the fault is within because the new one made the washer work. my goal is to figure out the problem and fix it for a spare. It turns out it's more than just a motor controller - its the power supply, motor controller (lots of FETs), sensor interface and there appears to be a 40 pin microcontroller (house marked, of course). Oddly enough, its a single sided board with a mix of TH and SMDs.

anyway, before I go and figure out the schematic (at least parts of it), I was wondering if anyone has experience with this unit? Or maybe some one can point me in the right direction. Maybe some of you aussies or kiwis? It's from a Fisher-Paykel clothes washer GWL-11, I believe.

Cost of a new unit: $380
Potential savings by repairing this unit: $380
Probability of successfully repairing this unit:50%
Risk Adjusted Savings1 : $170
Probability of ever needing this replacement: 50%
Risk Adjusted Savings2: $85

Price of replacement parts with shipping: $25

Cost of your "Free Time" that you are not spending with your family : 6h 100/hr

I suggest you leave the dead board in the trash bin.

I think we have another spammer or scammer of some sort.

That post is a direct copy of one from 2006:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back