Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

First post - Capacitor question:

Status
Not open for further replies.

sydcomebak

I have 4 LEDs from Radio Shack that I want to keep on for about 5 hrs:

Forward Supply Voltage: 2.1 Typ / 3.0 Max
Forward Supply Current: 20mA Typ / 30mA Max

I want to install a capacitor that will power these lights.

Am I going the wrong route? Should I be looking into a Lion or NiMH battery? I'm going to try to find a female MicroUSB to charge the power source either way.

What size / type of power source should I look into? Anyone have a source / pinout for female microUSB components?

Thanks!

Hi Syd.

A capacitor will not work. You need a device that maintains nearly a constant voltage as it gives up its stored energy, ie a rechargable battery. A capacitor's voltage decreases more or less linearly with time as it is depleted.

I'd suggest a three-cell NiMh battery. That can be charged from 5V (USB) with a suitable charging circuit, and run four parallel LEDs (with a resistor in series with each led).

Mike,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Space is an issue. I'd really like to find a cheap & rechargeable CR 2032 battery. Also, I've never built a charging circuit. I have Googled them, but I just got more confused.

Attachments

• schem.jpg
    schem.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 151
The four LEDs running at 20mA for 5 hours will require a battery capacity of 20ma x 5 x 4 = 400mA-Hrs. An AAA NiMH will provide that but not a CR 2032, which has perhaps a tenth of that capacity.

By definition, Rat Shack Leds will not be voltage matched, so you need a separate current-limiting resistor in series with each Led.

As to recharging, read the wiki. How long are you willing to wait for a recharge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back