Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

finger print module using pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMIM

HI All,

I’m very interested in these finger print modules (I have actually bought a purpose built one, but it’s limited (expensive too) – it can only open 1 door, I need to be able to open different doors depending on what finger/persons finger is used).

**broken link removed**

My problem is that I don’t know how to program in C (yet) and I don’t wish to bother getting an arduino because of that – so is it possible to get this thing up and running on pics.

What do I need to get finger prints enrolled on a pc. I think I have read somewhere I need a usb serial converter.

Are there other alternatives to this module – It needs to be cheap like this one, under 30ukpounds.

Thanks

Well you want us to do all the work how you going to program it. Any way you have to buy that one to get the data sheet and a sample code for the arduino.

Well you want us to do all the work how you going to program it. Any way you have to buy that one to get the data sheet and a sample code for the arduino.

thank you for the reply be80be

No I mean, before I press buy - I just need someone to say, yes you can use a pic.

Then I will buy and try to work out the rest. Things on ebay don't always stay there for long, so I would like to buy in advance.

If it turns out I can only use arduino I will not buy it now.

I mean I can't program in C (I think that what you need for arduino) but I can program a pic using assembly.

I have made many projects with pics (not using c) so I hoping I can do the same with this fingerprint unit.

edit: or have a confused you by using the terms pic and arduino thinking they are something different. when I say pic i mean something like PIC16F628A (is an arduino a pic plus some other bits? or something totally different?)

Last edited:
You can use any uC you want from what i see it sends the data serial out I found one that looks the same that shows pc software with it plus how to use a uC. like the pic

I don't think that the module you linked to will be suitable. To me, it looks like if it recognises one of the many fingers you have 'saved', it will output a logic high, or indeed low. I don't think that it will output a different ID for each finger, which is what I think you want. (At least that's the way I read it.)

Also, an Arduino is Atmel based, wheras a Pic is Microchip based. I too have no knowledge of 'C' and also write in assembly for Pic's.

Bottom line. . . I think you are barking up the wrong tree with that unit for what you want, though I'd like to be wrong on this.

Caveat, I have been drinking. :)

Edit;
I hope be80be is right, I'd be interested in your results.

Last edited:
It can hold up to 162 id's I'm sure there both are the same. It using a DSP chip record the print. It then sends that out to a computer that can show you the print, and ID.

Both site's on ebay show the same finger reader but one site goes in to details of the software and use.
**broken link removed**
Features :

Secure your project with biometrics - this all-in-one optical fingerprint sensor will make adding fingerprint detection and verification super simple. These modules are typically used in safes - there's a high powered DSP chip that does the image rendering, calculation, feature-finding and searching. Connect to any microcontroller or system with TTL serial, and send packets of data to take photos, detect prints, hash and search. You can also enroll new fingers directly - up to 162 finger prints can be stored in the onboard FLASH memory. There's a red LED in the lens that lights up during a photo so you know its working.
There are basically two requirements for using the optical fingerprint sensor. First is you'll need to enroll fingerprints - that means assigning ID #'s to each print so you can query them later. Once you've enrolled all your prints, you can easily 'search' the sensor, asking it to identify which ID (if any) is currently being photographed.
You can enroll using the windows software (easiest and neat because it shows you the photograph of the print) or with the Arduino sketch (good for when you don't have a windows machine handy or for on-the-road enrolling)

Last edited:
@ Burt, fair comment sir.
A rough Google translation of the price comes in at $39.49 US dollars = £24.6443 British pounds sterling.
Under budget, Yay! :)

Last edited:
I don't think that the module you linked to will be suitable. To me, it looks like if it recognises one of the many fingers you have 'saved', it will output a logic high, or indeed low. I don't think that it will output a different ID for each finger, which is what I think you want. (At least that's the way I read it.)

Thank you for your input House of wax.
Yes, you have understood me correctly, I need to differentiate between different prints - a simple low or high for all correct prints will not suffice.

I'm hoping for a unique output for each stored print. I have paid for it now so fingers crossed.

From reading Burt's link, it looks like I might be wrong, **Pleased**. Hopefully it will suffice for your needs. As it turns out, I was thinking about one myself and l was looking at them earlier, however I did not see the one Burt linked to.
Best of luck with your project.
As I said earlier, I'll be interested in your outcome.

**broken link removed**

First up, you'll want to connect the sensor to the computer via a USB-serial converter. The easiest way to do this is to connect it directly to the USB/Serial converter in the Arduino. To do this, you'll need to upload a 'blank sketch' this one works well:

Now like I said I will not be using a Arduino, as I don't have the knowhow.

It says connect the sensor to the computer via a USB-serial converter, is the following suitable?

**broken link removed**

Thanks you for that link. It seems to have another link to the pc software. It says demo, but I hope it will let me enroll all the prints I need once Im able to link the unit to the pc.

Last edited:
I would say yes, if it's sending out RS232 then that would be what you want (unless you have a serial port on your computer, in which case, use that).

Did you see Mythbusters? They lifted a fingerprint from a drinking glass, photocopied it onto a piece of paper and opened the "high security" door lock by pressing the bit of paper on the lens.

I think the door lock was also supposed to have body heat and pulse detect, but that was a lie as the piece of paper opened it fine it was just a crude optical scanner for a pattern.

Did you see Mythbusters? They lifted a fingerprint from a drinking glass, photocopied it onto a piece of paper and opened the "high security" door lock by pressing the bit of paper on the lens.

I think the door lock was also supposed to have body heat and pulse detect, but that was a lie as the piece of paper opened it fine it was just a crude optical scanner for a pattern.

yes I saw that one. lets hope not too many people know that trick ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back