Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding an old multi band reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
Hey guys I am looking for something I had when I was in my mid teens. I figured you more traveled and seasoned fellows would know what I am looking for.
I used to have a big multi band radio It was built around the 1960's or 1970's I think. My Great grandma gave it to me as a kid. I was her brothers from way back.

It had around 12 to 15 bands I think.
It was all transistorized and used 8 or 10 D batteries or could be plugged in too.
It was silver on the front and lime green or green/grey in color. The tuner had a rotory knob on the right side to change the bands and back face behind the tuner needle. There was a course tuning adjustment that moved the needle back and forth plus a fine adjustment that only rotated 3/4 of a turn. the antena was retractable but could reach out to around 6 feet or so.

It covered all frequencies from 20 Khz up to around 1 or 2 GHz. there were no blocked or missing bands. Do any of you know what this type was actualy called, or who made them back then?

I actualy still have part of one circuit board from it. The board number is TR-2663 and the transistors are NEC SB116 and Matsushita 2SB178 with the metal can bodies. The Capacitors are Rubycon. If that helps any.

I was 15 and got a soldering gun for christmas, the old radio had already broke down so you can guess what happened to it. I have regreted it ever since too.

I would love to have one of these old radios again if any one has one they would part with.

Hey guys I am looking for something I had when I was in my mid teens. I figured you more traveled and seasoned fellows would know what I am looking for.
I used to have a big multi band radio It was built around the 1960's or 1970's I think. My Great grandma gave it to me as a kid. I was her brothers from way back.

It had around 12 to 15 bands I think.
It was all transistorized and used 8 or 10 D batteries or could be plugged in too.
It was silver on the front and lime green or green/grey in color. The tuner had a rotory knob on the right side to change the bands and back face behind the tuner needle. There was a course tuning adjustment that moved the needle back and forth plus a fine adjustment that only rotated 3/4 of a turn. the antena was retractable but could reach out to around 6 feet or so.

It covered all frequencies from 20 Khz up to around 1 or 2 GHz. there were no blocked or missing bands. Do any of you know what this type was actualy called, or who made them back then?

I actualy still have part of one circuit board from it. The board number is TR-2663 and the transistors are NEC SB116 and Matsushita 2SB178 with the metal can bodies. The Capacitors are Rubycon. If that helps any.

I was 15 and got a soldering gun for christmas, the old radio had already broke down so you can guess what happened to it. I have regreted it ever since too.

I would love to have one of these old radios again if any one has one they would part with.

Sounds like a Zenith Transoceanic radio. They made them for several decades and evolved from tubes to transistors. There are serious collectors for these so they are almost always avalible on E-bay. Here is one example.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

Wonderful! I always regretted stripping mine. young, dumb and no thought s for the future.
That one on eBay looks somewhat like mine too but smaller and has far less tuner range. But at least now I know what to look for!

Thanks more than you can know!

I was going to suggest one of the famous Trans-Oceanic receivers as well. They came in several styles, and evolved over the years. My uncle had one that looked like this -

**broken link removed**

Related to this.
Does anyone know of a modern reciever that has full radio spectrum tuning abillity? No blocked bands just full range VLF to upper UHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back