Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding an Adequate Replacement for an Obsolete SRAM Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml9012

Hello everyone,

Recently a very old vector analyzer I use at my university has finally had it's very old lithium ion battery die. After speaking with the company that made the analyzer they have informed be since the unit is so old that they do not have that battery in stock and also couldn't tell me a source of where to buy it. Attached is a picture of the battery on the PCB. Does it look remotely familiar to anyone? Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

RsMu547.jpg

If anyone is wondering this is the A9 PCB on a very old Anritsu 327269B VNA.

Thank you all
Josh

If you have plenty of space available in the analyzer and you know what the battery voltage should be you could use almost any battery of a suitable voltage and type. I had the same problem with a dead 3.6V lithium battery in a 'scope. I replaced it with 3 AA alkaline cells and a primitive voltage regulator.

I know this will sound naive but is there easy way to determine the voltage of the battery if it is dead? Also how technical of a task would it be to do as you're suggesting with using a voltage regulator and some AAs. I assume some soldering skills are a necessity?

Thank you again.

It will probably have a battery part number and maybe voltage printed under that yellow sticker.

If you can unsolder it, just run two wires and externally mount a Lithium battery.

Googling for the part number (if it has one) may yield some useful info re the battery. Failing that, you could contact the company again and ask them.
Also how technical of a task would it be to do as you're suggesting with using a voltage regulator and some AAs. I assume some soldering skills are a necessity?
Yes, you'd need to do a bit of soldering. Only a few components are needed.

I mis-remembered the circuit I used. It was a voltage dropper rather than a regulator as such. But it does the job adequately, as you can see from the attached:
VoltDropper.gif

Is it a through hole battery? Can you see the layout of the pins? Can you identify which is the ground pin? Is the case soft plastic that might hold a standard battery inside? Can you trace the circuit?

Could any of these be a replacement, the first one looks about the right size (0.6" x 0.6").

Mike.

Last edited:
I was able to peel off the label with a razor blade, its a standard lithium battery from rayovac. Obsolete but some places still carry it and was able to order another. Thanks for the help everyone.

Glad you found a replacement battery. Out of curiosity, what was its voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back