Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finally got job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fezder

well, title says it all, just when i was giving my hope to get job in summer, i got phone call this morning and got job for 1-2 weeks, even more if lucky. Someone could think that this is pointless thread, but I've been too eager waiting for any cind of job, regardless of WHAT i would need to do. And i was lucky, it is assembling junction boxes and other assembly stuff.
Now, the big question, as we are in electronics forum, what was YOUR first job where you got actually paid? and sorry if this is pointless/silly thread.....but if that's not the case, discussion would be nice!

Glad to hear that from you Fezder.
just try to learn and learn via it and see if you can be unique somehow to develope that job in future. Unique jobes mean $$$$$

Regarding to your main question, I started to have an electronics repair shop at age 14-15! I was too shy at that time, so I closed it soon:), But anyway I could earn an almost a good amount of money via that shop in say 2 months because people did like to bring their devices to me so that evaluate my ability! and some times when they were surprised they tried to give me more than what they should!

But to be honest I had a part time job before that too. I tried to design an innovate blinking LED for the bicycles to prevent them to have accidents in nights! It was done for the first time in my country, I was very successful in this job, But soon several bicycle companies tried to make such thing and I could not coninue it. I could be rich by that simple job if those companies did not come up to steal my idea because a lot of kids at that time liked such simple and cheap things.

Last edited:
Congrats! I hope you enjoy it and learn something along the way.
It is not a silly thread and I am sure a lot of (us) old-timers will chime in with their experiences! My first job was delivering bread at 4 am in the small town I grew up in in Germany. Then I started to apprentice in 1958. It paid the equivalent of 50 Euros/month. I had to be at the bus at 6 am, ride it for an hour, work all day and be back at the home bus stop 12 hours later. Not easy for a teenager, but the education I got was worth it! E

At the age of 16 I had a summer holiday job in the local radio/TV/domestic appliance shop.
I repaired washing machines and vacuum cleaners and the odd radio, 6 days a week for the princely sum of £3 if I remember correctly. (This was 1965).

JimB

My first job off the farm was when I was 19 and I worked at a local gas station and convenience store.

I made $4.25 an hour and only had to work 8 hour shifts 40 hours a week. After coming off the farm working for my dad. WOW that job was easy and great pay on top of it! I made 6 times the take home pay in two weeks than what my dad paid while only having worked half the hours to get it! :D

Labouring for a landscape gardener/family friend. Must have been age 16 in ~1983. I think pay was £1/hour Only lasted a week, boss decided I was no good! I think the lady next door to the house I was working at was trying to seduce me - kept inviting me for cups of tea - think that's why my work fell a bit short ;) Moving a big rock I crushed my middle finger doing that job, put it down heavily on another rock with my finger in between. Went black and the nail fell off eventually. Grew a new nail, but it's always been deformed.

Don't like work, got better things to do. Unfortunately need £££££'s. Got a weeks works helping install 300+ computers this week, better than what I usually do.

Anyway, congratulations fezder, hope it leads on to better things.

LOL :D. My first job was at a Roadhouse selling Take Aways to drunk Varsity students....

They would arrive there smashed and driving too with lots of equally drunk/high passengers. And then they kept changing what food they had ordered....and then they normally ended up paying with coins too. And no tip for me. Funny for around two Months and that was it. Man they drove me nuts.

Till this day, I still am not a Customer orientated person after that early experience :eek:

Regards,
tvtech

Forgot to congratulate you Fez :D:D:D
Well done and enjoy it while you can.

Great stories and discussion guys, keep it up :)
And thanks :)

My first electronics job was when I joined the Navy, I was 17 yrs old. My enlisted rating was electronics tech and I was trained on Radar, comm gear, and my specialty rating was repairing meteorological equipment like satellite receiver and sat tracking antenna. That's how they got weather photo's back then. They were geo-orbital and had to be tracked as the passed overhead. At sea this becomes problematic as the ship pitches and yaws, so the system is tied into the ship gyro. The system was SMQ-6 I think.

My first job out of high school was when I was 16 and it was with the New Zealand Post Office in the telecommunications branch as a telephone technician that lasted till 1989 when mass redundancies struck.
worked for myself during the 1990's doing TV, video, computer and sound system repairs.
The last 2 years I have been with a company in Sydney, Australia as the NSW state Trimble certified service technician doing work on GPS systems for the surveying, road construction and mining industry

it keeps the wolf from the door ;)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back