Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

final year project

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

hello!
I'm working on my final year project and it is all about using infra-red in an anti-tresspasser circuit. When the tresspasser breaks the IR falling on the receiver module an alarm circuit is triggered. I'll also like the circuit to be interfaced with a PC so that the Operator could enable/disable the security system at given hours of the day.
Any body with any idea, link, or schematic? I eagerly await your response.

WOW! :shock: someone asking for final year project help that has actually put some thought into it!

Well it would be quite easy to do that by using a microcontroller on the hardware side, and communicate with the PC using the serial port. You can write an application on the PC to communicate with the microcontroller in many different programming languages, but generally speaking it's not very hard in the typical microsoft languages (visual basic, visual C++, visual C#, etc)

As for keeping track of the time of day, you have a couple options. You could let the PC do it, and just turn the microcontroller on and off depending on the time of day... or you could let the microcontroller handle it, that way it does not need to be hooked up to the PC at all times (only have to hook it up to configure the on/off times). You could do that with careful timing routines in software, however that wouldn't be very accurate and your times would shift each day. A better way to do it would be to interface with a Real-Time Clock (RTC) module that will keep track of time for you accurately. Then you'd have a standalone module that you could easily plug into a PC to configure.

And if you wanted to make it even fancier, you could put an LCD and a few buttons on the board so that you could configure the on/off times right on the device, no PC needed.

Thanks very much for the reply. I didn't know there were so many alternatives to achieve that. Unfortunately I've never had any experience with micro-controllers or RTC's. Might there be other ways?

well if you let the PC do all the timing, you can simply have the PC output an enable/disable signal via the parallel port, or serial port (you can toggle some of the serial port pins via software, like you would with the parallel port, to use them as digital outputs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back